Kansas will allow concealed carry of guns without a permit

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by okie_flinger, Apr 3, 2015.

1. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kansas will allow concealed carry of guns without a permit | Reuters

text from article:

(Reuters) - Kansas residents will be allowed to carry concealed weapons in the state without training or a permit starting in July under a bill signed into law on Thursday by Governor Sam Brownback.

Brownback, a Republican, said the new law will protect the rights of gun owners, while opponents said the measure poses safety risks.

"Responsible gun ownership – for protection and sport – is a right inherent in our Constitution," Brownback said in a statement.

Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, Arkansas and Wyoming have similar laws and nine other states are considering them, according to the governor's office.

The measure passed with strong support from both chambers of the Republican-controlled Kansas legislature.

Kansas will retain a permitting process for residents who want to carry a concealed weapon in states that require them, Brownback said. Businesses can still post signs that say concealed weapons are not allowed on their property, he said.

Brownback said he encourages people to take gun safety training courses.

Loren Stanton, president of the Kansas chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, questioned the wisdom of making training voluntary for carrying a concealed weapon.

"There is no way that taking away training can make guns safer," Stanton said.

(Reporting by Kevin Murphy in Kansas City, Kansas; Editing by David Bailey and Eric Beech)

2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The above line is spot on, bad law IMO. I enjoyed my CCW class.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe some places "are" headed in the right direction.

4. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't have to take any training to get my permit. However, this is one of those if JoShmo wanted to carry and didn't have a license he would anyways. So now legally (s)he can. Could it be a recipe for diaster? Definately. But, I feel many already do this that we are not aware of.

5. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know it is all in the wording but no amount of training is going to change how safe the GUN is. You train the user, not the gun.

6. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the permitting process in OK is pretty rigorous... 1) take the class (~$50), make application - which, in and of itself, is pretty rigorous... fingerprints, multiple forms, etc, pay the fee (5 year=$100, 10 year = $200 which you do NOT get back if you are rejected for whatever reason), photos, etc... and I consider it rigorous for a reason. people who are intimidated for whatever reason probably shouldn't be carry a gun anyway (but probably will do so illegally).

I left the class still having plenty of 'what if' scenario questions unanswered... but the bottom line is the permit only allows me to legally carry a gun on my person under certain circumstances & places. other than that, I am still subject to all applicable laws. if I pull the gun and threaten someone - I am liable. if I pull my gun and shoot someone - I am liable. the carry laws do not necessarily protect me from any prosecution by the state or by the person I have threatened or shot/killed.

This may be where KS has decided to go... let people carry, the state doesn't have to deal with more laws, procedures & taxpayer money to service these laws/permits (although they are missing out on the $$$ - is it really profitable though? probably not), and they still must comply with laws already on the books insofar as what they might do with that weapon...

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This one defies logic. I'm not against cc but what I don't understand why hunters have to be safety certified before they can carry a gun in the wide open field in wide open view of everybody when someone else can carry a concealed gun in a highly populated area with no training or instruction whatsoever?

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The logic is that 'keeping and bearing' a firearm is a right. Requiring a permit/fee/lots of paperwork is an infringement of that right.

Hunting is more involved that simply carrying a firearm on your person.

I do strongly suggest that people take a firearms training. More than simple gun safety and basic laws. I highly taking recommend defensive pistol classes. (which involve drawing from a holster, magazine changes, using cover and of course, being able to hit your target)

Should classes be required for CC? Not if you really value our rights.

9. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's the point, the person with no training is the issue.

IMO the training for ccw is not hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No we will not all die, but some hot head, cough cough(Zimmerman) will stick his nose in something he should not, and someone will die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heres a thought.... should handgun safety training be included in future Hunters Safety Courses in such states? I know they teach the basics of safety but what about going a little more in depth? or offering in depth courses for free somehow?

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If people can have children without a permit then they should be able to carry concealed without a permit.

14. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your legal to own a firearm they should be able to carry it. Having any type of training to obtain a permit doesn't matter if the person doesn't continue training. Which many don't. Doesn't matter anyway, the people that already carry will continue to carry. Laws like this won't suddenly make everyone else start packing because now they can get away with it without taking a class.

15. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Almost every states concealed carry training is a joke to begin with. I've seen hunter safety class that were a lot longer and harder to pass. Kansas has been an open carry state for quite awhile. I'd much rather those guns be tucked away. Thugs have and will continue to carry regardless of what laws are on the books. I consider this law as a deterrent as it certainly should make a lot of criminals think twice before doing something out of line. I am a permit holder and will continue to renew my license so I can carry my gun across states lines. I don't predict any shoot outs at the OK Corral.

16. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^

17. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In WV if you have taken the hunter safety class, you do not need to take a CC course to obtain a cc permit. I have taken both and they are a complete joke.

18. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In a state that I used to live in I obtained my CCW because when I rode my 4 wheeler I would throw a pistol in the saddle bag. There had been instances of Game Wardens issuing tickets in situations like that when there was no hunting season going on for hunting out of season. If you had your CCW you could not be cited. I always felt that was an infringement and an abuse of power and a complete joke. I agree that if you are legal to purchase the gun you should be able to legally carry it.

19. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You feel that more training would have prevented this?

20. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would hope so, but what it gives us responsible gun owners is a platform to argue.
    With no training or permits the first yahoo who does something stupid, it may cost us big, that's my fear.
    Thugs can kill thugs in Chicago and no one cares, a person kills an innocent by stander or guess wrong on suspicion behavior and kills someone, it's national news and the debate begins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk