New to the idea of bow hunting, basic questions.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Wyoming86, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Wyoming86

Wyoming86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi. I haven't been in archery very long but I want to continue. I feel like my next step would be some hunting.
    So I have a few basic questions I hope you all can help me with. I like the idea of shooting instinctive being as close to the animal as I can manage.

I have been planning on getting a 50# recurve but I'll have to build up the strength for it. Is the difference between 45# and 50# that crucial in hunting? Right now I have my eye on the samick sage, which I've heard spruced up can preform like a mid-range bow.

Since I have never been hunting before I want to start with some smaller game. Right now I am considering birds. Is that the ideal animal to start with? If so which type of bird would you recommend? Something besides goose because I heard how they mate for life.

Thanks.

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    45 is plenty for hunting... especially small game, but hitting a moving target with a bow is hard to say the least... birds would not be my first choice for a new bow hunter... that 45 lb bow is plenty for deer size game... and ya have lots of that in Wyoming... why not go for it... just practice first and make sure your proficient enough to hit the vitals at the ranges you will be hunting before trying to take a shot on one...

3. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with smoke. Hitting moving birds is going to be much, much harder then hitting a deer that is standing still. The key is practice, practice, practice.. then practice some more. When you are 100% confident you can hit the vitals of deer at whatever ranges you are going for, then go hunt. Best of luck!

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My advise is to start with a compound bow then switch to a recurve if its not challenging enough.

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the others! I would begin with something else. I've been hunting ducks for 4 years now and I still MISS a good portion of shots and that's with a SHOTGUN. Birds move fast regardless of what kind your taking aim at. I wouldn't be scared to jump right into hunting deer or something a little larger and slower than a small, fast bird. If you have an abundance of squirrels and don't mind eating those, practice on them if it would help your confidence before going to bigger game animals.