POWERHAWK_11's 2015 Food Plot Thread

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by POWERHAWK_11, Apr 2, 2015.

1. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am starting my new thread on a few food plots that I will be doing this year. The main plot is a continuation of the plot I did last year. You can check that by following the link below. My to do list this year for the plot is: create a drainage system, double the acreage of the plot, and move stand locations. I am starting the drainage ditch while on Easter break from school.

http://forums.bowhunting.com/food-plots-habitat-improvement/62041-fall-food-plot-2014-western-pa.html

2. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Got most of the drainage ditch dug today. I still need to go down about another 6" but I wanted to get something done before it rained today. I have access to hose in almost all diameter so I am probably going to put in some 4" or 6". I won't do that until it dries out more. Next will be removing some brush to expand the plot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Did some more work in the plot today. I planted five hybrid willows for screen and transplanted about 20 various saplings that I cut down to clear more acreage. I also removed a large tree in the middle of the plot for more sunlight. I updated my plans for this plot. I had originally wanted to plant on both sides of the drainage divide but I have changed my mind. The one side is very thick and the deer like to use it to travel. I figure it would have been too much uneccessary to clear that. Now I am just going to clear out the part on the left side of the divide.

In this pic you can see the divide I am talking about represented by the orange line. The red dots are the locations for the hybrid willows I planted.

[​IMG]

These are the hybrid willows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the tree I removed in the middle of the plot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Little update here. Not work in the actual plot but I did get a Trophy Rock out right above the food plot on two intersecting deer trails. This week I am going to try and get my drainage system in and get the plot brush hogged and sprayed. I am trying to wait for it to dry out before spraying. They are calling for rain everyday this week.

[​IMG]

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good! Keep up the good work!

6. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow begins the real work in the plot. We have a stretch of days where the weather is going to be in the 80's and sunny. Hopefully things will dry out. My first order of attention tomorrow will be getting a ditch dug for my drain system. The drain system will be 4" corrugated pipe that will have some type of rock around it for better draining. It will only be about 75' long but digging by hand is going to suck. Depending on how the digging is I might split it into 2 days because I also need to clear a little brush before we can brush hog the plot down. I'll be posting pics of the whole ordeal sometime tomorrow night.

7. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking really good! Keep the pictures coming, love these little threads.