3 Pieces of Advice

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by greatwhitehunter3, Apr 1, 2015.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a lot of turkeys on our land each year. Every year I tell myself I am going to at least try to turkey hunt. The way this spring has started, I'm guessing I wont be going this year either but I have a buddy that I told could hunt our land if he wants (his first time too).

If you could give three pieces of advice that you have learned either through success or failure in the past, what would they be?

2. bonescreek

bonescreek Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Turkeys like most other birds need water.

Always try to position your blind so as the sun comes up it won't back light you.

A favorite decoy set up I use in the spring is a feeding hen right on the ground no stake
    and an upright Jake just behind her and tight up against her. In the fall I'll put out a spread
    of 6 to 8 decoys.

3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also use the hen/jake combo in the spring. Also learn when to stop calling. Once that gobbler is hooked and coming in, leave him alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be WAY more patient than you think you have to. It's SO tempting to want to get up and wander around the property looking for birds, but trust me... they'll see you before you see them. ;)

5. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just started hunting turkeys 2 yrs ago. You need to try it then you'll get addicted like I am now.
    the first step is admit you have a problem................

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be where the turkeys want to be. - You see them in specific spot they will most likely be there the next day and the day after that.... Much easier to call in turkeys if they want to be there in the first place. :)

Be patient! - I have had birds run in from 500 yards out in 1-2 minutes. I have had birds take 2 hours to move 100 yards to where I could make the shot.

Move -Know when its time to move. Moving can be a lot of work for a bow hunter. Take the effort to move if you need too. Some of the my best morning / evening spots are often dead during specific times of the day. Take the effort to pack up, move, and reset if you know you need too.

7. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^what he said^^