Wild boar hunting, Ohio

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by LilSiman/OH, Mar 30, 2015.

1. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my buddies were out at a park in Northeast ohio looking for sheds and we came across some rooting and two unfamiliar skeletons. A closer look at the skeletons revealed wild boar. We've always heard rumors of feral pigs in this general area, but never actually believed them to be true.

I know the first step in getting on one these hogs is obtaining permision from a close by farm. This is in northern ohio, not really pig teritory. Any experienced pig hunters have any tips on closing the deal on one these? I was thinking, IF I get permission close to here to just set up a feeder near a thick area or right on the outside, throw a trail camera up and try to pattern them and hunt them by treestand. Any suggestions would be helpful. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you scout them look for fresh rooting in any creek beds or fields on the farm, set your bait up near your stand site, when I set up a bait site without a feeder take a post hole digger dig a 3 foot hole using 2 x 50. Lb bags of corn and 5 large boxes of cherry jello powder, put corn sprinkled or mixed with the jello powder in the hole covering with a little dirt every foot or so then take the remainder of the corn and pile on top with the 1 box of jello poured directly on top so the wind can blow it lastly if you have bears in the area pour a 20 ounce bottle of diesel on the pile pigs will get after it but nothing else. Good luck you may have to set a camera on the site and check it often to pattern them. Just one thing to remember pigs are smarter than folks think if you take off into the bush and jump them out of there beds they will move out to take up residence somewhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good find and very interesting. That's in the area where I'm from and I've never seen or heard of hogs up there. I'd be surprised to see them thrive there but assume it's possible.

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good find and very interesting. That's in the area where I'm from and I've never seen or heard of hogs up there. I'd be surprised to see them thrive there but I guess it's possible considering what you found.