Pin size?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Swise660, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am sure this has been discussed more times than its worth but I am not sure it its just me or if I should think about different pin sizes. I currently have a TruGlo Carbon XS. I looked at their website to see what the pin size is on this particular site but it doesn't say what it is.

To me, it seems like my pins are too big. If I am shooting at a paper target with the 5 circles on it, depending on the distance, my pins cover quite a bit of the target area. A couple of weeks ago my boyfriend and I had a little shooting challenge going on. We stuck a 2" sticker dot on the target and at 30 yards, my pin covers ALL of that 2" dot and then some. I felt like I couldn't just pick out that dot being I had the whole thing covered. I notice it more so indoors too. The guy at the archery shop says its because of the indoor lighting.

At 20 yards, my groupings are 4". The farther I get away from that target, I have a hard time picking out one specific spot to aim at being my pins cover so much, my groupings widen. Its not a ton but at 40 yards my groupings are 6-7". We have a 3d deer target and at 25 yards my pin covers a good portion of the kill zone which makes me feel like I can't zero in on one specific spot to aim at.

My 30 yard pin is the worst for me. Pin colors are green, red, green. I don't know if its the red that makes it hard or if my 30 yard pin fiber doesn't hold tight enough to the back of the pin, making it look even larger to the eye when I aim.

I have only been shooting for about 9 or so months now so I don't know if this is typical or if I should consider different sites.

2. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I was a guessing I'd sat your shooting 19 pins. You can get 10 pins and you can see the spot you're shooting better.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree!

4. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All three sights I own right how are adjustable three pic sights...my top two pins are .19 and my bottom pin is .10 which is my floating pin.
    The decreasing pin size allows a consistent sight picture at increasing yardage.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015