Heavy BH with high foc vs. speed and large cut mechanicals. Discuss

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jim805, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so very interested in this discussion. I like the idea of speed! Shooting an arrow like a bullet from a gun. Everything, these days,seems so speed oriented. Well, I've been reading an awful lot of Dr. Ed Ashby's writing and it has changed my views. But I have some questions. The first would be: why the heck isn't everyone shooting heavy arrows with high FOC? EFOC? Or even UEFOC. Why aren't we all using a single beveled BH? With the increased accuracy, better flight characteristics, better penetration, better bone crushing pass throughs. Higher percentage of animal recovery. The advantages are many.
    There is the other side too. Why are these single bevel BHs have so small of a cut width compared to the mechanicals these days? The Rage Hypo has a 2" cut! The Helix, 1 1/8"!! The Grizzly, even smaller.
    If the penetration and pass throughs are so much better, why isn't it more popular/accepted?
    Just looking for a discussion to see what y'all think about the subject.

2. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think that information is out dated. With today's bows you don't need a super heavy arrow and a small single bevel broadhead to get penetration because they shoot about 50-100 fps faster than those old bows, heck kids bows now days shoot faster than those ancient bows.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This information isn't even remotely outdated. No matter what set up single bevel Broadheads and heavy arrows produce devastating results on all game animals. And small cut single bevel broadheads do more damage than most mechanicals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Epic fail. ^

5. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone has their own opinion...

6. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they do great damage but you don't need anything like that anymore. Bow produce more energy so you can use a bigger broadhead. If you don't believe me go check, most bows back in the 80's and 90's only shot 260-280 fps.

7. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    1. It's not an opinion it's backed by facts.
    2. I'm not talking about bows and the energy they produce I'm saying single bevels do a ton of damage.
    3. How can you say great damage is not needed? That ludicrous, do as much damage to that deers vitals as possible for the quickest, most ethical kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't say great damage isn't needed I was talking about the set up. You can have a large 2 blade or 3 blade 2" cut and do more damage than a 1 1/8" single bevel. People can use what they want they have been for years now.

9. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    And I didn't say it was an opinion, I said everyone has their own opinion.

10. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:

Won't argue with a person who tries to negate clear cut facts. you clearly don't know how single bevels work.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  11. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since all we are doing is voicing opinions and views I shoot CE Maxima 350's with both a Mech & Solid (100gr Shwacker 2" & 100gr G5 Montec 3 blade) I use the G5 primarily for Pigs, I'm sure the Shwacker will do the job but if they have a little more shield skin growth than expected I want the Cut from the G5. I carry both in my quiver during Deer season for such situations as a Goliath Hog wandering through.

12. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I know how a single bevel works and I was going to use them this year because I know they have an advantage over standard fixed blades. And I don't know why you think I'm arguing. It seems like you're the one trying to argue.

13. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't it an even better idea (the "heavy stuff") on the new bows if one is able to reach out and touch your animal from a greater distance?
    I do want to ask y'all if a miss hit or a tissue only hit still going to be better with the smaller single bevel than a large blade mech or 3-4 blade BH?

14. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    And another thing max why argue with another person over an opinion? You sure are not going to change mine.

15. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks "senior members" for showing us newbs how to act on this forum!!!! Now can someone maybe consider my question? Is it cost that keeps more hunters from using the heavy stuff? Even the pros on the shows are using the Rage "du jour" and they have all the money in the world.

16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I think the reason why most hunters don't use it is due to a lack of knowledge. They don't know or don't care about the bows tune, their arrow set up, or any of the other details of their set up. They buy into marketing hype and speed kills. Not all but a majority of shops aren't great at doing work on a bow. So the hunter shoots a fixed head, it doesn't fly well, they scratch their head and then screw on mechanical head. This isn't to say that all Bowhunters are stupid but if you asked joe bowhunter what his FOC is or what a single bevels head is he most likely won't know.

17. dgrantlpc

dgrantlpc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Let's throw another variable into the equation: what about the efficiency of heavier BH's, like a 200 gr. Woodsman or Magnus Classic?

18. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I am man enough to admit when I am wrong and I was. A while back I watched a video and the guy acted like he knew everything to know about single bevels but he actually didn't, but I just watched a video that really changed how I thought about them and I was almost completely wrong.

19. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using Montec CS fixed blades with amazing results. My last kill I shot at 20 yards and the arrow was lodged 6 inches into the frozen ground (Doe made it 30 yds before piling up). I like the Montec fixed blades because they fly well and I know as long as I do my job (Hit the deer in the vitals), the deer will be piled up within eye sight distance.

The mechanical BH's are definitely cool with some slick marketing behind them. They also make devastating wounds, especially when the animal is quartering to or away. If you put a good shot on the animal the mechanical will 9 times out of 10 do the job, but there is always that chance that the mechanical won't open or the blade could break letting your hard earned "opportunity" slip away potentially. The slight chance the mechanical might fail is the reason why I stick with a tride and true COC fixed BH.

BTW - Here are some pics to back up my last kill with a Montec. You can see damage and the penetration with the arrow lodged in the ground. If you look close enough, you can also see the doe running in the background. :bow:

20150116_175304.jpg 20150117_150717.jpg

20. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Switched my setup completely from last season based on information I had never heard thanks to people on here. I was shooting 400 spine beman ics hunters 8.4 gpi with 100 grain rage hypos. The rage head was good and did its job but this season I will be shooting a 340 spine Easton FMJ 11.3 gpi with 125 grain Dirtnap Gear Single bevels. I am also shooting 70 lb instead of 60 lb now