power tools?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by donut757, Mar 28, 2015.

1. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im looking to get a new drill for sure, but possibly one of the multi tool kits. I have an older Ryobi kit that has served me well, circular saw and drill mostly. I also have an older Dewalt 14.4v drills that just doesnt have much life left in it.

I dont do much work with the tools, but would like to get something that will last a while and hold up over time with occasional use.

I know you get what you pay for, but i dont need a set of Hilti tools. Ideally i would love to get a full set with drill, impact, circular saw, and recip. saw. That way one set of batteries would run everything. But i dont want to spend money on a name if it isnt needed.

Have been looking at the usually brands in Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, and Bosch. But have also been looking around at the Rigid and Porter Cable.

One thing that may play a part is the Dewalt service center that is near by. I spoke with them and they will take trade ins and you must upgrade on the same type of tool, drill for a drill and upgrade from lower to higher voltage. Lady says it normally ends up being around 15% off new items, which isnt too bad i guess long as they dont mark up prices. They take Dewalt stuff as well as other brands so i maybe be able to trade in and get a pretty full set of what im looking for, minus the impact driver....... which im not sure i really need it anyway based on not doing too much work with driving a bunch of screws at one time, so may not be a deal breaker based prices and tool combo.

If yall could give any insight with yalls experience with a particular set of tools that would be great, or what i may need compared to not need such as 18v vs 20v, lithium vs whatever.

2. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Porter Cable set 18V saws all, drill, circular saw and camp flood light, was $120 at Lowes I keep it in my camper at the hunting lease cause at that price I picked up 2 of them I've had them for 3 years and no problems yet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the new milwaukee fuel drill and impact driver set, 1/2 inch impact and just ordered their new(er) 7 1/4 circular saw all 18v. Really like it so far, lots of power and the batteries seem to last a good while. Although it's all pretty new so that should be expected. Honestly I think there alot of good tools out there right now it's just what ya like. Myself and one of my buddies have had decent luck with milwaukee so that's what been sticking with lately. And like the fact they sell alot of bare tools that are pretty decent priced. I'm sure other do that too but I've only noticed that Dewalt and Milwaukee

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dewalt or Milwaukee. Great tools.

5. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the Milwaukee. I have a set of the Porter Cable 18v lithium and they are doing a good job. I really like the battery powered reciprocating saw especially when I put a wood blade on it and use it to clear shooting lanes. That my friends is so much better than using any type of manual saw.

6. cg2737

cg2737 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Milwaukee. It's worth the extra money to buy the higher grade Milwaukee, they have different grades. Do yourself a favor and get a drill/driver combo, great stuff.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought 20V lithium drill sets at walmart, think they are black and decker. They have interchangeable heads on the drills. I bought a set with a circle saw and one with a flashlight and then I bought an impact adapter and and extra drill. So, I ended up with a circle saw, a flashlight, an impact driver head and three drills and three batteries w/chargers. Then I bought two sets of bits and adapters and a Dewalt 1/2" 18v impact with an extra set of (2) batteries and a set of driver adapters from 1/4" to 1/2" with swivels.
    The drills have been pretty darn good, I'm happy with them. The impact was expensive but the drill sets were pretty cheap. This allows me to be mobile enough to fix most stuff in the field or to build and repair deer stands where ever I need to go. I built this platform in three days by myself with the drills and saw with no power or generator. All treated lumber and deck screw construction.
    [​IMG]

8. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a couple Hitachi drills last year. 18v Lithiums. They outperform my dads Dewalts that I think are also 18 or 20 volt. Better battery life and more ergonomic. Also a good bit cheaper. They also come with a lifetime tool warranty. I haven't been really hard on the 1/4" impact but have been on the 1/2 drill and its held up great.

9. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a Dewalt guy myself

10. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used Dewalt 18vs every day for several months last year doing construction (50'x500' chicken barns) in Texas and loved them!!! They far out preformed the Makita 18vs and Couple Dewalt 20vs we had

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, Milwaukee makes good stuff. I have a Bosch impact driver and drill and tbey have been awesome. Quick recharge and I use the driver a lot.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

12. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The newer Hitachi's are great, they have an awesome Brushless combo I want to grab.

13. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for all of the replys... I think i will check out what kind of deal come out for fathers day and check out the dewalt trade in deal and see what the is offered

14. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your 18 volt outperformed the DeWalt lithium 20 volt? Your 20 volt must have been defective, seriously. We aren't buying anymore 18's anymore and buying all 20's. It's a night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whoops I meant to say our 20v Dewalts far out preformed the 18v Dewalts and Makitas, I must have switched the numbers in my head while I was typing or something lol

16. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big fan of the 20V DeWalt tools. We use them every day at work, and they have been awesome. They outperform my Rigid tools by quite a bit.

17. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't over look the Porter Cable Line. For the money they are hard to beat.

18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy to hear the great reports on the Dewalt 20V. I just ordered the drill and impact driver yesterday. I have had Dewalt tools since they first came out with 9.6V. I still use a 12V that is about to die, but it owes me nothing. I have used and abused it for many good years.

19. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the deal wth trading in fr dewalts isnt that great that is what im leaning towards

20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of power tools, I have a problem with buying too many. So be careful with that haha. Just picked this up today, full sized cordless circular saw.

[​IMG]