Phil Robertson

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MnHunterr, Mar 26, 2015.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why...

'Duck Dynasty's Robertson under fire again

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My comment is this. We really need to stop judging people due to their religious and personal beliefs. I work with Christians, Baptist, Catholics, Muslims, Buddhist, Wiccan and Atheist and have found all of these people to be good productive members of society. I have several friends that are openly atheist but still maintain a quality set of morals. I don't judge a man or woman by their thoughts, beliefs, race or gender. The sooner we all can get to that state the better. However in the same breath I also believe that we all have a right to believe what we want to. Your actions determine what type of person you are not your beliefs.

Phil has a right to his beliefs and media has a way of twisting words but I will have to admit my opinion of the man is starting to dwindle a tad bit. That short of graphic demonstration to prove a point is not very christian in my opinion. Granted everything is not sun shine and fields of flowers but there are much better ways to get your point across. Lead by example not by fear and terror. Both are effective but tyranny will get you shot in the back at the first opportunity.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    God bless Phil for trying, the same quality that made him famous and wealthy is the same one that gets him in trouble...the fact that he's a rough old codger.

That trait made him a down to earth and welcomed character to hunters, both country and urban hunters alike. The problem is meshing that rough old codger's ideology with every day life in view of the softer urbanites that freak out when they see two guys yelling at each other and think the world is about to end. The soft city folk can't handle an old codger's logic, lol.

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see him as a person who....if you don't want their opinion, don't ask type person.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like many on the TV intoxicated by the sound of their own voice, no idiot chip to cut it off.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    His illustration is asinine.

7. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Phil is just trying and there is nothing wrong with that.

8. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And like yours, its his to believe.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have some friends who are atheists and they are some of the nicest, most caring people I know.

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was raised in an Atheist household and we were still raised to know right from wrong. I truly find religion beyond baffling at times and many religions intolerance to other religions. My wife was raised Catholic, but we have never gone to church and she understands my point of view. She has her beliefs and I kinda lack some apparently but we make it work and both try to be good people:)

11. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    It is called " beliefs" just like pizza we will all have our favorites.

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    You can have your beliefs and express them without sounding like a condescending a$$hole. Which is exactly how Phil comes across with his "parable ".

13. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    He is a self made man , whom admits many mistakes and he makes his money by being news worthy, he is good at it, are you as condescending with the Kardashians?

14. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    If they were professing their moral superiority at the expense of others, i sure would be.

Anyone that professes to judge another's persons moral compass based on their religious beliefs and not the persons actions fits the definition of a condescending ***.
    And if he is doing it to be as you termed " news worthy" to turn a profit, then maybe he is the one lacking common decency and understanding of right from wrong.

15. powerstro284

powerstro284 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Phil may have come across strong to some but he was driving the nail home that If not caught by the law the wrong you do on earth goes un answered so if not for religion the world may as well be Dan by Isis

16. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys can have him and the duck dynasty guys. Never cared for them. Tried watching their show once... garbage. If that is your idea of driving a strong point home for christianity... an atheist might have a better chance at getting into heaven then you. I don't see anything Christian in Phil's babbling. Sick and twisted do come to mind though.

Tim

17. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is a really frightening quote.

18. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He is making a VERY valid and relevant statement through an extreme case. It's honestly disheartening that some don't want to grasp it.

Ask yourself this question. What is morally good and what is morally bad? Because YOUR definition of morally bad, just might be, someone else's definition of morally good (or acceptable).

So what does that mean? There must be a standard then, huh?

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's disheartening that people believe that it is a valid point. The only thing stopping people from murdering and raping everyone is their belief in God? That is horrifying.

a societal standard

20. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some people make some very strange assumptions with no basis.

They assume that atheists, just because they don't believe in God don't know right from wrong.

They assume that, because I'm not a Christian, that I don't know right from wrong.

They assume that the ten commandments is the only source of right and wrong, ignoring the fact that millions of people in the world with no knowledge of the ten commandment know right from wrong.

------------------------

But, Phil Robertson, is not unique in his sick and twisted thinking. There are many who share his sick and twisted thinking. It does bother me though, to find so many on this forum approving of what he said.