GPS that works in my pocket

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pick00l, Mar 25, 2015.

1. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had two different GPS units over the years. One being about 13 years ago, the etrex Legend. The latest one being a a DeLorme Earthmate PN-30. Both of these units gave me the same two major problems.

1. Not very durable with very light use. The inputs would not work properly and they were not reliable units (even after upgrades to the OS).
    2. Just as big of a problem is that, they do not capture my location well if not held perfectly facing the sky. So, if I put it in my pocket or hang them from my neck as I am walking, I'm not capturing my tracks correctly.

I would not mind investing in another unit however, would like to ensure that #2 above is addressed. Of course I want a more reliable unit however, looking for one that can capture and track me well.

Like to hear other opinions or units that work while in a "pocket".

I'm not interested in using my phone. I use that as back-up in the woods when the GPS fails...or I need to make calls etc.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a Garmin Rino 530hcx. It's been bullet proof and works very well for location unless I'm under a major canopy or super cloudy skies. Even then it's rare that it has a problem and it's only sporadic. They don't sell these units anymore but I've got several buddies that have the newer touch screen units that replaced them and they work very well also.

3. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Rick. Will take a look. Have they mentioned a problem with the touchscreen in the rain and snow?

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't heard any of them complain about it but I've got to imagine it doesn't work well when you have gloves on.

5. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My phone works great for any GPS needs I have

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

6. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a garmin etrex series. 10 is the starter, but it doesn't take micro sd cards or have roads on it but it works. 20 is the next step up and takes the cards and it has roads, but no names. 30 is the best of the best. It takes cards, has a color screen like the 20, has road names, and the bundle package comes with a 100k topo map of the continentel us. If you have a cabelas near you we honor sale prices for up to 7 days after the sale ends. It should be around $270, and that price is about $150 off!

7. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the etrex 20 rightnow, before that I had the etrex HCX.
    I recommend them

Both work fine and track even under 3 layers of clothes...

8. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Garmin is awsome.

9. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses. I would not have looked at the etrex again. Based on the above, I may reach out to Garmin and ask a few questions to their team.

10. Michael.herb

Michael.herb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Garmin is the best choice in my opinion.

11. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Garmin Oregon 450 is the one I use now. My brother has the same one they are very durable and I love the birds eye maps available for them. Great battery life, touch screen, and I like the fact that when we scout separately we can just share spots we've found or hung stands at wirelessly.

Whenever we do upgrade to something else I would like to find a unit that can track another unit if you set it up that way. For example if my brother and I are in a large national forest of some other area I would like to be able to see his location or send him mine.

12. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Garman... works great walking in the woods... not so well when driving... inside the truck metal and 30 MPH it sometimes tracks as much as 10 yards off, but when I stop, it catches up quick.... thinking the metal disrupts the signal and the refresh rate is too slow for speeds above fast walking... but then I don't rely on it for that

13. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Suunto wrist GPS is, hands down, the best GPS I've ever used. It has all the features of my handheld, and it has no issues recording my movement. I spent 2 days in north GA mountains and it didn't skip a beat, plus with my batter pack, I can charge it about 20 times. It's what I'm going to use for elk hunting this year!