Broad head target?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Heavy, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Heavy

Heavy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What do you use for broad heads? My current target is only good for field points (tried a broad head on it and it wouldn't last very long against more broad heads) but I'd like to practice with my broad heads so I know how they'll fly. Right now my broad heads consist of rage hypodermics (I have a practice tip but I haven't tried it on my current target) and montec SGH, the SGH was what I tried and it ripped my target a new one (literally). So I'm wondering what target hold up the longest against broad heads or if practicing with broad heads and destroying a target quickly is just something you have to get used to? Thanks

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which do you have? The Montec or the SGH? I don't think any target will like the SGH, nor can I think of any real reason to shoot them at foam. Any BH target should take a fair amount of shots from the Montecs or the (gasp) Rage.

FWIW you really shouldn't need to shoot a BH more than a couple times to insure they are hitting with your FP. Not sure what good it would do to shoot them anymore than that.

3. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ I Agree^^

I use a 3d Buck target with a Foam Vitals insert and only shoot my broad heads once or twice to ensure they are on with my field points.

Oh and you do have a practice mechanical that the blades don't open right? Most sets come with one or have one you can pick up it lessens the wear on your target and possibility of damaging your killing heads.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Rhinehart 18-1. I shoot my broadheads enough to ensure my bow is tuned and also at any distance I think I might hunt from so I know exactly how they fly. I shoot out to 55 yards at home. So between tuning and shooting various distances I shoot fair number of arrows per year with my broadheads on (QAD Exodus).

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We just have one of those cheapo block targets designed for broadheads. We only put a few broadheads into it each season and it's pretty well chewed up. It's been around so long I don't even know what brand it is. Our big shooter buck target we use for field tips would NOT last long if you stuck it with broadheads.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. Heavy

Heavy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I normally just use field points but wanted to try out the SGH because I honestly didn't think it would fly like a field point. I have the practice tip that came with the hypodermics (doesn't actually have blades) and use that instead of the actual broad heads. I believe that Montec is the company and not the product but I could be wrong

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting the same Rinehart 18-1 for probably 6 seasons now, including quite a bit of broadhead practice. It's held up remarkably well and I leave it outside year around. Considering you can shoot both broadheads and field points into it for the money I think they're tough to beat.

8. Heavy

Heavy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I thought Montec was the company but G5 is, my bad

9. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    SGH's are made to shoot into grass and dirt, so no need to tear up your target. Toss a bottle cap or soda can out in the yard and shoot away! I bought 2 SGHs and will never buy them again. Within two shots at squirrels i lost 2 of the 3 prongs on them. I went back to the old Judo style with the 6 springy wire prongs and they worked great thru my entire hunt

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for the 18-1... I've shot lots of broadheads into mine and it's still holding up great.

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a rhino block and 18-1...no complaints