Antelope Hunts

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PinkPony, Mar 19, 2015.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you have ever hunted antelope with a bow?

We are planning a trip to do an antelope/mule deer hunt possibly next year. I was given the choice if I wanted to bow hunt or gun hunt. I really want to bow kill an antelope, but don't know much about them. Do they come close enough, like deer? Or are they more of an open range animal?

Any advice on the hunt I'd appreciate.
    Thank you.

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was reading a lot about them last fall because I was going to go this year. But my work situation changed so I can't. I've had some friends kill them with bows and it seems hunting near water holes is a common technique for archery gear.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never been, but planning on a trip out to Wyoming this fall. I am planning on going a few days before gun season starts. This will give me a chance to take one with a bow. If I'm not successful with the bow, I will have a couple days with a gun to get the job done. I felt like this would be my best chance.

4. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    This is about when we were thinking. When we went to IL we did a hunt right before the three day shotgun season as a just-in-case moment.

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I did notice the water-hole thing, too.

Bummer about work...isn't that the second hunt you planned that it messed up? But, there is always time another year.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah working sucks lol.

7. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My brother did an antelope hunt last year in western South Dakota. He shot his at 63 yards after spot and stalking it for awhile. He said that you'll do alot of walking so have a good pair of boots!! He set up on waterholes in a blind as well but it was so wet out last year that the antelope weren't "needing" to go to the water holes everynight. They tried a decoy but the time of year wasnt right for the antelope to react right to it.

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know. I am not a spot and stalk type hunter.

9. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had great success decaying antelope. It's a rush.

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Zombie antelope, cool :) .

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Todd and I hunted goats a few years ago in Wyoming. We hunted out of ground blinds over water holes and both killed our animals on the first day of the hunt. My shot was under 20 yards, Todd's was maybe 30-35 max. I believe you can get a lot closer hunting this way but it's not quite as exciting. Most spot and stalk/decoy hunts seem to be shots in the 30-60 yard range.

12. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I personally don't have any experience with hunting antelope, but my father lived in Montana for a while and used to hunt antelope, as others have said there usually is a lot of walking and stalking the antelope, he and his buds would scout for the herds and when a herd was spotted they would intercept them at choke points such as a spot on a fence line that they regularly cross, because the herd will literally line up and jump the fence one or two at a time. But they hunted with rifles, so that might not be how you will be hunting them, just throwing my "vast experience" out there.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  13. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to Wyoming in sept. I was wondering the same thing. I really want to shoot one with a bow. Ill be on private land but DIY hunting. Hopefully there will be some water to set up on...I'm also thinking of getting one of those Montana decoys to try stalking.....full disclaimer....the 25-06 will be in tow if this does not work out...:)

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't hunt spot and stalk, your only good option is to sit on water holes. I have shot one with a rifle on a spot and stalk and I have shot one with a bow at a water hole. Both hunts bring their own challenges and rewards. My next hunt will be a spot and stalk with bow. It is definitely wide open terrain.
    PICT0019.jpg

15. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Booner!

Thanks for the opinions and experiences. If I were more comfortable rifle hunting I wouldn't mind - but it's not my favorite. Just doing tons of research at the moment to figure out what we're doing. But, whatever I do decide, it will be guided.

ETA; Fletch, just saw the picture. Love how it is smiling! They're pretty animals. How does it taste?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OTC tags in areas with limited access are a great option if your willing get permission on private land or pay trespass fees. Its a DYI hunt that is easy to pull off logistically. Trespass fees tend to be reasonable especially if you will into make a multi day commitment, for example three days. I have added lope hunts onto a couple early season elk trips as well.....

17. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How does it taste....
    Well most people turn it into sausage and or jerky. It can be a little sage tasting.
    Lots of people say the only way it's any good is in sausage and jerky.
    I am one of those people. LOL

18. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I disagree. The antelope I have eaten is the best wild game I've had. Now I have heard that it all depends on how well you take care of the meat. Keeping hair off is critical, as bucks smell like a Billy goat.....the meat I had was kept clean and put in a cooler of ice& salt immediately after it was killed

19. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have also heard it depends on how far they run after you shoot them that will greatly effect the taste. The one I shot went 15 yards so that's a myth to.
    I have friends that love the taste, just not for me.

20. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The taste of the meat depends mostly on what the goat has been eating. Lopes killed in the grasslands are very good eating. The first one I shot was in heavy sage brush country and it was absolutely horrible. It became jerky after being mixed with good portions of venison. The second one I shot was feeding on irrigated grass pastures and it was good eating. In my opinion, none of them will compete with elk or moose.