Optimizer lite king pin

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dunn County, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pros and cons of .10 vs .19?

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    There really isn't a ton of differences between the two. Is that obviously the smaller pin gives you a finer aiming point. Honestly the only time that I find this important is shooting 3D archery. When your looking to shoot a quarter sized ring. In hunting situations, even at long range of 60 or more yards a .019 pin is plenty fine to pick a spot. .029 is starting to push it IMO. In hunting situations, I don't think you aiming point needs to be fine enough that a .019 pin won't work perfectly. Another thing is that it will get harder to see sooner, in low light. Who know how much sooner or how much darker, but physics won't allow less fiber option to gather the same amount of light. Unless you plan on shooting lots of 3D, my vote would be the .019.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but the smaller .010 fiber on HHA means that a longer length of fiber is wrapped around the housing. Not sure if that extra fiber is enough to offset the size difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dunn County

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Dubbya and maxpetros. Anyone else have any feedback on pin brightness of HHA .19 vs .10?

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The real question is which sight housing. Or at least it is for me. I have the 2" on the ultra light now. I am not a fan that it is partially hidden behind the riser. Should I switch back to the 1 5/8 when I purchase the king pin or get over the obstruction? I run a large peep. Wish I could mount both and see which one I like better. What did everyone else get on their king pin?

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I personally prefer the .019 pin and 1 5/8" housing. I've been shooting a small sight housing since back in the Axcel days and it just feels more comfortable to me, even with a 1/4" peep.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But you miss.... :p Thanks for the feedback all kidding aside.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't miss entirely - I just miss enough to not kill them. Technically it's closer than a clean miss. :D

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and nuclear war. :bow:

10. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your young and have excellent eyesight either a .10 or .19 will work just fine, personal preference being the decider. If your old and kinda blind, I'm 58 and wear progressive lenses so I use a .29 single pin, use the force. I've shot bows with HHA sights and IMO their pins are exceptionally bright, so I don't think you can go wrong with the .10 or .19.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  11. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The .019 will overall be a brighter pin. I'm not a fan of the massive 2" housing. In fact, I hate it. Lol.

I shoot CBE stuff and shoot a 1 3/8" housing for target with a .019 blue fiber (You have to run a light kit and I have shot a .010 quite a bit too). For hunting, I run their 1 5/8" housing with a .019 green pin. Green gathers the most light out of all the available pin colors and with the fiber wrapped one time around my housing, I rarely ever need a light.

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up ordering a 1 5/8 housing. I got to looking at them and it looked like the housing was the same on the previous model. I figured I would just swap them out to figure out which one I liked best.

13. Dunn County

Dislikes Received:
    The smaller housing and .19 has worked great for me thus far! I reduced my peep to a 1/4 also as I disliked seeing outside of the sight housing. Its a great sight. I can't believe I ever went away from my previous HHA Optimizer to a fixed pin.