Shooting low?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bigfootcali, Mar 9, 2015.

1. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok well here is by problem I been sighting in my new bow but my groups are low. I have followed my groups but have ran out of adjustment on my sight housing.how do I fix this problem? My sight is a trophy ridge react 5 pin sight.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you shoot with the tip of your nose on the string? if so tip your head back a bit.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have to move your head or the bow to see the peep? Sounds like maybe your peep is too low.

4. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have to move my head and I use my fletching like a kisser for my anchor.

5. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    I have even moved the sight up to different mounting hole and shoots even lower.

6. Whitetailfreak52

Whitetailfreak52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your peep might be too low.. I would try moving the peep up and see if that helps.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You moved it up? Put it lower than originally set if possible, remember, chase your arrows with the sight adjustments. Also, I notice you shoot a whisker biscuit. Is it worn down? I started shooting low and it was because the WB was worn down, causing my arrows to drop. It might need to be replaced.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You say "your new bow", where did you buy it? Who set it up? Was it set up correctly? There's a lot we don't know about your situation, with lots of variables. As mentioned, follow the arrow whith adjustments. I would also put the sight back in the original mounting holes. Is your peep sight served in the correct position? Because they can move a bit if not served.

9. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I anchor and use the fletching the same way as you do. Others have already given a correct assessment about your peep being to low - for long distances anyway. With your anchor point and peep location, the only thing you can do is increase arrow speed by bumping up draw wt and decrease arrow wt. Otherwise, your stuck like me with a max pin set at 65 yds or so. Beware that moving your sight bracket lower may interfere with fletching and/or broadhead clearance.

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check your arrow to make sure its level and have someone take a picture of you at full draw and post it here. It could be your arrow is not level. Or you are holding your bow low and anchoring high. When you anchor you should form a T with everything in alignment. Hope that helps.

11. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds to me like it is your form. There's several reason's why you could shoot low groups and Copperhead has mentioned another one.

1st move. Follow what copper said, post a picture of you drawing your bow back.
    2nd move (assuming all is well with #1) shoot a couple arrows and note if you're holding your bow hand up after your shoot or if you're dropping it. My bet is you're dropping it, hence, the reason all of your arrows are going low, even after adjustment. Make sure also you're not "punching" the shot, concentrate on slowly pulling the trigger.
    3rd concentrate on your breathing. Are you exhaling when aiming and shooting? Or holding your breathe? Some exhale and that's fine, but for me it causes me to shoot low too.

You can either YouTube bow form or ask here and we'll help.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had issues when I got a new bow a few years ago when I stepped up to a speed bow.

13. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    Well first off sorry about the delay but busy with work. Now to answer all your questions, I bought my bow directly from pse and went to a local shop to have it setup. I know alot of you mentioned my peep being low and after assessing the situation and looking at my peep it has moved down a bit and I am going to slide it up to proper height and serve it in my self. I am also going to paper tune and check the patterns there, also my whisker biscuit is new and is a medium size biscuit. I know something is out of whack because I ran out of vertical adjustment on my sight housing.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The peep dropping would be the issue then, glad you figured that out. In regards to the WB, if your arrows are consuming the entire opening then it's too small. There should be a small crescent moon shaped opening at the top of the rest hole when an arrow is in it, if not then it's just not the right size.

15. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    How big a gap could you post a pic I am shooting beman ics patriot hunters and would like to reference my arrow and wb with a pic. Thanks for all the help

16. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  17. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info im look into that, I was trying hard to figure out the problem but with your guys help im working on a solution, plus I really love my tr react sight.......

18. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch in in your mouth as an anchor point it a really bad idea.
    First thing I would do is double check my draw length, then once that is corrected I would have my bow retuned.
    Moving ur peep up or down will temporarily solve your issue.
    But with out a press you will get rotation in the peep.
    Generally when guys would come into the shop with the same issue it was the bow was to long or short for them and it was not set up correctly in the first place.
    Good luck hope you get it all squared away