Mathews Z2

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by the wanderer, Mar 9, 2015.

1. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I might be looking for a new bow this year. I'm really tired of all the problems I've had with my Bowtech (on my third set of limbs). I was looking at the Mathews no cam, but then I saw the z2. The Z2 has a much nicer price tag with it, and essentially looks to be very similar to the rest of the Z-series of Mathews bows. Which, appear to be great bows. I might go and shoot both of them this Saturday. I've read some if the reviews on here for the No Cam, but I have not seen anything for the Z2. Does anyone have a review/opinion on the Z2?

2. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Z is a nice bow, but the NO Cam HTR is much better IMO. It comes down to your personal preference and your budget.

3. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How is it much better? The draw cycle sucks it rough at 70lbs. 60 lbs too. It's vibration free and quiet but your arrow is slow as crap. So again how is it better?

4. Longstriker

Dislikes Received:
    I personally find the draw cycle acceptable, it's just way different than Mathews Solo Cam and Dual Cam bows. It took me a little practice to adjust to the NO Cam draw cycle, but now I really like it. The NO Cam's minimal nock travel, it's dead in the hand feel, and how quiet it is are a real plus. The fact that it doesn't approach the speed of many other bows isn't a concern to me or the game that I harvest. There are three words which stood out when I asked John Schaffer at Schaffer Performance Archery why I should get the NO Cam, and they were "easy to setup". My Mathews HTR is quiet, vibration free, and easy to tune, and that's why I picked it over the much faster Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Speed is not everything JWO.

6. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My point is its vibration free and quiet because it's slow

7. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I still love my old z7. Great bow

8. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Well, to be frank, your points are irrelevant. "Vibration free and quiet" has nothing to do with the speed of the bow, it is the overall construction; cams/wheels, limbs, riser, accessories, etc...

OP - I've never shot the z2, never heard of it. I shoot the Z7 and absolutely love it. I started off in 2009 with a Mathews Q2 fell in love with shooting 3D competitions and bow hunting in general, bought the Z7 when it came out in 2010, won the state title and killed my first Pope & Young. Although Mathews 2015 lineup is a little heavier, shoots a little slower and what ever, a 300 IBO is more than enough speed to kill anything that you wish. Shot placement and making ethical decisions is key. Take a trip to your bow shop and shoot a few different bows to see what best suits YOU

9. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Z2 by all accounts is a rebranded Z7 which was an awesome bow. Tons of people bought and loved that now.

To the guy complaining about the no cam draw cycle. It is very different but it's the easiest pull out there. All honesty I can pull 70lb on a no cam about the same as 60 on most other bows. Spend an hour with it then go back to your old bow and you'll probably digging money out of the car to try and come up with the money to buy it. I know I am and I hated it the first time I shot it. That time I shot it 3 times. The second I went in and just said I'm going to spend some time with it. After about the 10th shot everything settled in. After 25 it was automatic and after 50 I didn't want to put it down. I do get if your a speed demon this isn't the bow for you. But if your looking for comfort, consistency, and quality you can't go wrong.

10. chainreaction

chainreaction Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got a z2 for christmas and love it. Very dead in hand, decent speed, accurate, holds nice, good draw cycle and quiet, I added a 4th monkey tail and mine is whisper quiet all you hear is a little pop, the arrow whizzing thru the air, then a wack when it hits the target. also much nicer price tag then the no cam.

11. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome bow indeed, I just checked it out on Mathew's site and the specs look pretty dang good. I may have to go shoot one this weekend :)

12. dukejake4

dukejake4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did a lot of research and shooting before I decided to go with the new Z2..this bow is sahweeet!! No cam is a nice bow don't get me wron... here's a list of MY OWN opinions:

No Cam LIKES:
    -smooth draw
    -light
    DISLIKES:
    -price
    -new technology of 2015, so to me, its like Mathews test dummy..would rather wait and get next year's model after they fix the bugs and issues they WILL encounter

Mathews Z2 Likes:
    -price
    -love the solocam(solocam is the mother of all Mathews)
    -quiet, efficient
    -Speed, not the fastest of Mathew bows, but noticeably more speed than when I shot the HTR, & that was at 60# 28"
    -overall make and reliability of this bow
    Mathews Z2 dislikes:
    - honestly couldn't really find anything I didn't like about this bow

P.S. These are my opinions of the bow, whether you agree or disagree I could care less, the Z2 was definitely the right bow for ME but maybe it's not for you. Go to a shop and shoot one to see for yourself. Besides, all of our bow choices are a matter of opinion. Any hunting bow on the market will kill, so that's what really matters.

13. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dukejake4,
    I appreciate all of your info. Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate the honest perspectives you've all given. It sounds like the Z2 is very similar to the rest of the Z-series of bows. Which, it sounds like all of the Z-series are great bows. I'm looking forward to shooting both on Saturday.

14. Longstriker

Dislikes Received:
    Nice write up on the NO Cam and the Z2. The Z2 is an awesome bow. Great choice.