Baby back carrier for hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im looking for a baby back carrier to take my son hunting this summer with me. he will be about 8 months old when it gets warm enough to take him. so im looking for something that isnt very bright colors. maybe a olive drab, but black is fine if there is nother else..
    also has anyone else taken there young children with them for small game?

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean to be a killjoy but taking a child that young hunting is really a bad decision in my opinion. The child will never remember anything about the experience and if it is bonding time you want, do it at home or in a safer environment. I took my son hunting when he was way too young and looking back at it I realize it was to satisfy my own selfishness because I wanted to go hunting while my wife was working. I have had more "close calls" while hunting and fishing than I can count and I am a very cautious person. To answer your question, find something comfortable and don't worry about the color. The game can't tell the difference anyway. Just my $.02 worth.

3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^totally agree. There is a time and place. It will happen and why rush something that he won't remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt start taking my son hunting until he was almost 3. I waited until he showed interest and was asking me to go. I took him deer hunting with me last year and most of the time we would just go sit in the fence row behind the house. He sat so quiet and still that we had a doe come in to 7 yards before he could'nt take it anymore and pointed and said "look dad! A deer!" lol That being said I personally would'nt have dreamed of taking him at 8 months. I know a lot of people would say the same thing about me taking him at 2.. but I waited until it was for his joy as well as mine and he wanted to do it with me... safety came first and seeing deer came in at a distant second. He is now 3 and I will be taking him with me (if he asks to go again) this year.. If he does ask to go killing anything with him is my main goal this year! Best of luck to you if you decide to go and be safe, but I would consider waiting until you both get joy from it.. just my 2c

You could say he enjoyed going with daddy!
    10704169_901784656498677_7286025185803228465_n.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above, but check out the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 carrier. We just used ours for the first time on a family shed hunting trip.

[​IMG]

6. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree taking a baby into the woods is a bad idea. One tick and your kid is battling lime disease which is life.long and at that age is a potential killer. Too many bad variables for hunting.

I do have three pack carriers for mine though. Two are baby bjourn. And I forget what my three way is made by

7. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

no lyme disease in the mountains of southern cali. i get what you are all saying. i just dont see why there is a line between taking your child hiking. and walking that same trail with a bow, and shooting rabbit.

and JGD, i have to disagree about the to young to remember. We all have done stuff and dont remember. it doesnt mean it wasnt worth doing, and it doesnt mean it didnt leave some kind of impression.

here is the front carrier i have so we can go on family hikes
    10981362_674031179390370_1533141220456656470_o.jpg