odd story........ suicide?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MartinHunter, Mar 4, 2015.

1. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    this happend last night ...

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - Detectives investigating a crime a home Gwinnett County home were involved in a shooting incident that claimed the life of the suspect.

A spokesperson for the Gwinnett County Police Department tells FOX 5 News that officers were in a home in the 3800 block of Jackson Shoals Road. Two detectives were investigating an incident involving terroristic threats and were speaking to potential witnesses when the suspect came home.

Police say the suspect pulled out a gun placed it to his "own" head while standing on the front porch.

Officers reacted and opened fire. It is unclear if the bullet came from the officer's gun or if the suspect had attempted to commit suicide.

The suspect, whose name has not yet been released, died according to police.

Police say they are continuing to investigate the incident.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Seems kinda odd, heck if all the cops would have just pointed at the suspect and laughed at him he probably would have just pulled the trigger. Makes me think of a scene from blazing saddles, and that scene had to be written by Richard Pryor.

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am very much for cops and what they do. But if he pointed the gun at his own head why must they all fire?

Seems like an odd story. Missing lots.

4. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    could be they were a little edgy this also happened last night.. not sure of the timing of both shootings.

In South Fulton County, an investigation is underway after a police officer was shot and killed early Wednesday morning.

Fulton County Police tell us they originally went to a home in the 7200 block of Parks Trail in Fairburn around 12:40 a.m. regarding shots being fired inside a home. The call came from a person inside the home, according to police.

When officers arrived to the home the shooter had already left.

Investigators say they received numerous calls after that about shots being fired in the neighborhood. According to police, the gunman, who appeared to be drunk, was banging on doors trying to get into other homes.

More officers arrived on scene and searched the neighborhood for the suspect. At some point, officers came under fire without warning from the suspect and that's when the officer was shot. A second officer was also shot in the incident. The shot hit his belt and police say he's okay.

The officer was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital where he died.

FOX 5 News has learned the victim was a 28-year-veteran officer with the Fulton County Police Department. We don't know his identity at this time.

According to police, the suspect was shot by officers during the ambush and was also taken to Grady. No word on his condition at this time.

Police say the danger has subsided at this time, but they remain on scene gathering more information.

5. MartinHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Pink pony...

a coworker and friend of my wifes lost here son a police officer in Clayton county a few years ago. A single gunshot to the head while investigating a domestic dispute.. He had only been on the force a few months..

6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Martin, that is very sad. Sorry for their loss. Unfortunately so many things have changed and it seems within' the last five-six years gun violence has went through the roof. Granted there has always been violence, we're just hearing of it more. My Grandfather was with Pennsylvania State Police and then a chief with the local department. I am thankful that he didn't have to deal with any of this. He tells stories every now and again of when he was in the force and times have changed so much. It's a chance-taking career for sure. I wish some people weren't so judgemental over them, though.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, gun violence had been trending down for quite some time, but the media wants you to believe otherwise.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf

8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Suicide by cop ? I am guessing all the tazers and been bag guns were all locked up that day. What ever happened to shooting a guy in the leg kind of cop anyway.

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that's why I said we're just hearing of it more. I'm sure there has always been the violence (I've watched some of those documentary shows about Chicago and their gangs - scary)! Media is just really focusing on it. A lot. Everywhere and every thing.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, their agenda is pretty transparent.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because it only takes a split second for him to change the aim of that gun? Just a guess. lol

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Call me crazy but if have a gun in your hand and the police are there telling you to drop the weapon and you don't you deserve to get shot.

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be honest, I'm all for the police to error on the side of caution. People need to understand the consequences of their actions. If you pull a gun in the presence of the police, expect to be shot dead. If you attack a police officer, expect to be beaten and possibly shot dead. The officers don't get the benefit of second guessing and analysing the situation after the fact. They have to make a split second decision that could possibly end their own lives if they choose incorrectly.

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right on the money! ^

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This. And them being put on trial by the media and public after a frame by frame review of a poorly shot video from a cell phone needs to stop as well.

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guys that usually have guns to their heads usually make comments like, "dont come near me or I'll kill myself!" all the while walking toward cops and other people. Cops issue commands to stop or drop the gun, yet the guy "just putting a gun to his head and not pointing it anyone" continues to advance towards other innocence people.....so they get shot.

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Two detectives were at a house investigating. What do you expect, for one or both of them to be wearing tazers and have a less lethals slung over their shoulder? And then confront a guy with a lethal weapon with less lethal weapons? Sounds like a sure fire way for a good guy to die.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  18. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seen two guys killed on tv recently one throwing rocks on a busy street in daylight and just the other day when a homeless man is getting the crap beat of him by more then one cop three cops fired there weapon on him and then say he was reaching for there guns. Sorry but it's time to rethink the use of force in this country.
    The small town I live in cops are asking for a full time swat unit and gear it's crazy... and just like budgets if you don't use it it gets taken away.
    It's getting really stupid if you ask me, one group is open carry a ar rifle into stores and on the streets saying that there 2 nd amendment rights say they can.and then cops shoot kids with toy guns and cops don't need to shoot until there gun is empty ...really shooting someone in the legs for once would work but I guess dead people don't get to tell there side of the story.

It's a nation wide pattern is all I am saying and it's got to be how cops are trained on how they use there weapon and when because it's almost a everyday anymore there is just no common since in some of theses shootings.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    And Ive seen two police officers killed recently on tv when they have failed to respond properly against a life or death threat. That doesn't mean I think all criminals should be shot quicker when they fail to head my commands. You are taking small nuggets off tv and using a very small percentage of cops and their uses of force as what you think is the status quo.

And none of that has anything to do with two detectives conducting an investigation when a nut bag has a gun to his head. Nothing. If a police officer begins bringing in all that mental stuff into his head during a life or death situation, his chances of dying increase rapidly.

Shoot a guy in the leg, come on. They dont even teach people at concealed carry classes to shoot people in the leg who present a lethal threat. Why should cops be told to linger in a grey area of thinking and responding during a life or death event when we are human beings who have a right defend ourselves like everyone else?

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I would guess if your life was on the line every time you punched the time clock, you might feel differently. We have a problem in this society, but pointing at law enforcement isn't really fair in my opinion. People need to get back to respecting authority and doing what they are asked. If you don't hassle and disrespect a cop, they are going to treat you with respect.