Cuddyback thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Davec9, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Davec9

Davec9 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am getting ready to purchase a few more trail cameras, I have Cuddy's and Moultrie now, I didn't have much luck with Wildgame Innovations a few years ago so... I am thinking of more Cuddyback cameras what do y'all think? Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they suck!

I would go with Covert myself, but some of the Moultrie and Stealth cam pics have been good lately.

3. Art

Art Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have last years E2 really like it, the settings on it are awesome and very useful if set over a bait pile, battery life and trigger speed is excellent but thought picture quality is average at best. Imo the new 2015 Browning, Bushnell and Stealth are looking really good.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cuddeback's trigger speed really sets them apart. I had a Cuddeback Capture that I used for years with no problem. I use Covert cams now and they perform really well. The picture quality is really good and the battery life on Coverts is amazing. Their Customer Service is TOP NOTCH!

5. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to agree with Sam^. I see that you're new here, welcome. Browse through this section of the forum and see the different qualities and aspects of the different cameras that everyone's using and decide for yourself. It didn't take me long to declare a winner...Covert

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure about the latest Cudde's but the biggest handicap has always been their sensing area - very narrow and very short. I've also had first hand experience with their CS and it was not positive. In a commercial cam I think your best bets are the Coverts, Moultrie, or the latest Brownings. If money is no object then it would be Reconyx.

Blessings. ..........Pastorjim

7. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I still say that my old Cuddyback Captures were the best cams I have ever used, hands down!

8. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year me and a buddy bought a Browning strike force and a cuddyback E2. Well first thing we did was put them both on the same tree and run a couple walk by test. As far as I am concerned there advertise slogan is BS and sometimes didn't even take a picture when we walked/run across. Needless to say the Browning blew away the cuddyback and we swapped it out for another browning. Only bad thing I can say about browning is sometimes you get white out pictures if they are to close. I'm not saying go out and buy a browning but I would recommend other cameras before the cuddyback

9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    after being duped into buying 12-13 cuddies, i've sworn them off.
    never again!!

10. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had terrible luck with Cuddeback when I bought one. All I use now is Covert.

11. Art

Art Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Am curious coheley665 did you have all settings on FAP and the zone control tab down to get the widest setting? When testing my E2 I had no issues with missed triggers, mind you I did not test it next to a different camera. Have noticed on a couple of camera brands and models where I'd be having zero problems with a certain issue and the next user with the same cam has all kinds of problems or vise versa. Am starting to wondering if it has to do with the manufacturing process where one batch is good and another is bad for some reason.

12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used Cuddes from the start. They really take nice pics when they work! I still have my Capture, as it's only two years old, but from now on it's Covert. I just bought two Red 40s in Jan.

13. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I cant remember what setting we had it on, but I think your right with the manufacture having bad batches

14. Art

Art Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just seems strange that a cam with .67 trigger speed would perform that much better than one with a .25 second trigger speed. (Of course that advertisement is debatable.). If that zone control tab (which is the out of the box setting) was up and set on really small detection zone I can understand that being the case. Why Cuddeback thinks anyone would want a small detection zone I have no idea. I put mine on the widest setting and have never moved it.

15. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care what they say what their trigger speed is when they miss a many pictures as they do. It is a simple test put another camera brand on the same tree taking the same picture and you will never buy another cruddeback.

16. Art

Art Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never did think of doing a test like that will have to try it; I do think the 20mp advertisement is bogus for sure. Also I've only had one cuddeback E2 so I can’t compare it to the older models that they had which seemed to have had those very issues.

17. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, don't care for cuddebacks. I like moultries, stealthcams and coverts, in that order but the first two are about even in my book.
    The brownings have a great reputation from reviews I've read.

18. Wacker

Wacker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have had little experience with different brands of trail cameras. I've currently have Moultries, Cuddiebacks, Wildgame, Coverts, Bushnell, Reconyx, Browning and Buckeye cam. Originally Cuddieback cameras when they first came out (not the film ones but when they upgraded to digital, w/ SD cards) they had the best camera available on the market. Nothing but good things from those older camera series. But as time went on cuddieback went from being a leader in the industry to now bottom of the pack. 3 years ago I bought 3 cuddiebacks, 2 out of the 3 stopped working within 9 months. Got replacements for both, than 1 of the two stopped working again within 5 months. Then the 3rd camera that I bought originally took a dump on me a little over a 1 after being in the field. From that day forward I vowed to never buy another cuddieback again. Even if their newer cameras that are for sale today are better, to me they are not worth the money. Plus their support is not the greatest.

I would stick with Moultrie or Covert. They seem to be the best option in terms of getting the most bang for your buck with maintaining good functionality and reliability. I do like the new browning cameras as well. But I don't have enough history or time in the field with that particular brand to feel comfortable hanging my hat on them.

As for Bushnell, Reconyx and Buckeye Cam system, - even though each of those brand has many pro's and few con's, those trail camera brands don't justify the cost for each camera verses whats already out there in the market. You literally can buy 2 - 5 cameras per the cost of 1 of the Bushnell, Reconyx, or Buckeye Cam. If you want to spend the extra money to purchase those brands then go for it.

Bottom line, would highly recommend staying away from cuddieback cameras.

19. wewilley

wewilley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yes on most of what you have said have a hard time spending $ 250.00 on any camera no more moultrie for camera so so but CS is just a pain in the buttttttttttt and bad colvert great camera if you can keep the dry but the very best CS i have two new E3 i like them very much a lot more good than bad great day and night pictures but a pain in the buttt to program JMO i hope there CS has improved from talking to them i think it has time will tell i have 3 G42 great pictures a videos but take a lot space on the card video that is CS so so but yes on cuddie
    Bottom line, would highly recommend staying away from cuddieback cameras.[/QUOTE]

20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to read one loooong sentence gives me a headache! ^