Arrow weight for big game?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by ctrupp, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What weight arrow do you recommend for big game? I am talking elk, moose, bear, etc. Would you use the same arrow as you hunt whitetail with, or would up the weight? Thanks for the help.

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    depends on your bow and poundage... but if your getting good pass thrus on deer, I stay with it for the rest... just place your shots in the proper spot and they should kill just fine...

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Elk,Moose I would start at a 450 grain arrow providing I had Excellent or FOC ( 15-20% range) and was was using quality fixed blade heads. I honestly think you even better closer to the 500 grain mark myself.

Bears, I am assuming you mean black bear......there is huge range of sizes and conditions for black bears. They generally aren't the toughest critters in the wood honestly i found they really give up the ghost pretty easy. What you can get into trouble with bears are they are tough to tell if their quartering if your on the same level of them....

Black bear over bait.....350 grains and up with a fixed blade head. 400plus with a mechanical head
    Black bear spot and stalk....I would god 400 grains and up at a min with fixed blade head.

4. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trial153 had a lot of good advice. I shoot a 450 grain arrow for elk. I have one son who Who shoots the FMJ's his arrow weight is around 560. He is also has a 31" draw and shots at 70lbs. Me I'm at 27" draw and shoot 60lbs. I would say he belongs to the mail man but are mailman is a woman:p My other two sons who bowhunt are my size and both shoot 425-450 grains. Have one boy who loves the grim reapers. He has shot 3 elk with them with no problems. He double lunged all them. The rest of us shoot fixed heads

5. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, an arrow in the 420 grain to 450 grain at 70# or so is an ideal arrow for the game mentioned no matter your draw length. Another is to make sure your arrow is properly spined for draw weight & draw length. either a .340 or .300 spined arrow for 70#

What poundage are you considering?

ElkNut1

6. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting a Bowtech RPM 360 at 65 to 67 lbs.

7. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I too shoot 67#-- An arrow in the 415-430 grain area will suit you very well. I shoot this arrow weight & passed completely through two elk this past season with it as well as a few others over the years. Make sure you are spined correctly & you will do well, either a .400 or .340 will do you well depending on your draw length? If 27-1/2" or under a .400 will do great if over that move up to a .340--

ElkNut1

8. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting at a 28" DL. Also, I plan to add a 50 grain insert with a 100 grain BH. Should I go with a 300 spine for this set up, or stick with the 340 spine?

9. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A 400 gr - 450 gr arrow at 65-70 lb draw wt is more than sufficient for elk, have taken several with a similar setup. Regardless of arrow weight and draw weight, if you don't hit them right, they won't go down. The same holds true for pretty much everything out there.

Yes, I hunt whitetail (and mule deer) with the same setup I do for elk.

10. JWOAdventures

JWOAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know every one has there opinion but I'm told I should shoot 700 grains Idk why

11. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ctrupp, at 28" & 67# you can easily stay with a .340 spine even with the 50 grain insert. This will put you at 150 grains of head wt. Nothing huge but a little more umph. Your arrows are most likely cut to around 27-1/2" or a hair more depending on your style of arrow rest.

JWO, what are you shooting 700 grains with?

ElkNut1

12. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know that I shoot a .340 axis arrow at 28 1/4" at 68 pounds an my arrows weigh in at 472 gr with a 125 gr broadhead. An I feel comfortable with taking an elk with it. But that's just my opinion

13. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    countryfamily, do you have an extra heavy brass insert in front? An easton axis is 9.5 grains per inch. Here's how your arrow calcs out at 28.25 inches long.

Arrow 28.25X9.5 - 268 grains

Fletch, insert & nock - 45 grains

Broadhead 125 - 125 grains

Total - 438 grains

ElkNut1

14. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ElkNut1, my axis are 10.3 grains per inch.

15. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I shoot beman ics patriot hunter 400 spine at 60 lb draw 29 inch draw 100 grain broadhead and nocturnal nocks so give me some insight on my setup you guys seem to got the arrows stuff dialed.

16. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Countryfamily, thanks!

bigfootcali, assuming your actual arrow length is close to 28" with a 29" draw you would have an arrow in the 380 grain for total wt. Personally I'd try to bump up closer to the 400 grain weight. At 60# that would be a very good weighted arrow & a good elk arrow weight! Top off with a razor sharp broadhead & you would be good to go! What head are you considering?

ElkNut1

17. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All kinds of great advice here - I would listen to these guys...

...but none of it means squat if you can't hit your mark EVERY time. I highly recommend firing 1 arrow per day for the 60 days leading up to your hunt...you will discover a lot when you only have that 1 shot, there is no "warming up" on a hunt...and you will get better and more confident.

Best of Luck!

18. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:

19. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    bigfoot, I believe those are mechanical broadheads. I would shy away from those with 60# & elk, not the best combo there. Look at the Viper Tricks or like heads & you will be much better suited!

ElkNut1

20. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    Now you said at 60lb the mechanicals would be ineffective and could you explain why, I need some education here.