Need some help from a veteran

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowjunky39, Mar 1, 2015.

1. bowjunky39

bowjunky39 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to archery. My question about how to aim. I was in the Marines and that is where I learned to shoot a rifle. We were taught to focus on the clear tip of the front sight post and the target just be a blur. Wondering if it is the same with a bow. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AmericanVeteranOutdoors

AmericanVeteranOutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man glad to hear ya got out. I just did myself in April. Everybody will say something a little different but it's easier to stare at the target and let the pin float over the rather and slowly squeeze just like a gun. If u punch the trigger you'll end up getting terrible groups. Where are u living now.?

3. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't shoot my bow like I shoot my rifle. I focus more on the target than I do on my sight. Ultimately it's what works for you.

4. bowjunky39

bowjunky39 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Mississippi

5. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Currently stationed in Wyoming. If yall are ever in my neck of the woods, gimme a holler

6. bowjunky39

bowjunky39 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will do

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site. I am a Veteran and I know what you mean. However, when I shoot my bow, I pick a spot on the target to shoot. Aim Small Miss Small. Even when I practice, I put small dots on the target to shoot at.

8. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much the same thing Sam said. I do the same thing, pick the spot on the target and let the pin float while pulling the trigger. Honestly I think I find myself doing it both ways while shooting my bow. Meaning sometimes the pin is blurred and sometimes it the target. I try to focus more on a small area of the target most of the time though, but even though I've been out of Corps since 07 those habits are hard to break. For me I find focusing on the target more usually works better for me with a bow. If you can pick a small detail to try and aim for it usually works for the best if you do miss. Much like focusing on the front sight post being center mast you'll probably be pretty successful but if you focus on a button on a shirt your margin of error will most likely be alot less.

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's just me but the target and pin are in perfect focus. Don't try and fight the float and punch the trigger when it's in the spot. Trust your float and squeeze through the shot.

10. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    FYI..When I watch hunting videos. I stop the video before the hunter shoots to see where I would place the shot. I do it all the time and I did it when I watched the video below. Watch this video of Nicole Reeves from DrivenTV with Pat and Nicole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJCpDRtsMjw

Stop it at the :52 sec mark. Pick a spot on the deer where you would shoot. Start the video again and watch where her broadhead hits. I think she was aiming right there. That is where I would have been aiming! I hope this helps! :tu:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  11. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bring my sight down to where the spot is I want to hit the target, mentally make sure everything is as it should be (grip is relaxed) and then I touch off the trigger on my release. I pretty much use the same breathing as the rifle I think...

12. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That deer had a built in target spot, Sam :)

13. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would've been aiming here[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  14. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't overthink this. Just float the pin on the spot you want to hit and squeeze the trigger. You have a 10 inch kill zone. your never gonna hold perfect on a spot.. that is why a deer has a big kill zoned. relax. enjoy. now go kill your deer.

15. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    Great Advice!!

16. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just want to say thank all you vets for your service and sacrifice, you are the reason we are able to do what we do today.god bless.......

17. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am nearsighted, so when I shot without glasses my pins were nice and clear because they were close, and the distant target was all blurry. Because of this I tended to pay too much attention to my pin. Once I started wearing glasses my target became nice and clear and my pins became a tiny bit blurry. Because I could see the target so well I began focusing on it, and just let that blurry pin float around over where I wanted to hit. It stopped me from punching the trigger and freezing off the target, and my shooting got much better, and more fun too! So to me, focusing on the spot you want to hit is the way to go.

18. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everyone above. I heard "pick a hair and aim for that" once and that is what I try and do. My focus is more on the target then the sight as the sight does "float". Just focus on what/where you want to hit and slowly squeeze the trigger and you will be stacking arrows.

BTW, thank you for your service.