Spend my money

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SuperKirby, Feb 25, 2015.

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just for kicks...

I have a 2014 Diamond Carbon Cure with the R.A.K. pacakage... and that's it. A buddy let me borrow a few arrows and his spare release until I can get my own stuff, but I need to get my own stuff and get his back. I have the good fortune of having a birthday the same time as the tax return shows up. My wonderful wife said I can spend about 900 give or take a few dollars to get set up.
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it... What bowhunting related items would you buy for the year to get you through practicing through the year and then hunting? I have a couple stands and some chlothing. That stuff will probably be next years project. The only must on the bow is the rest has to be replaced.
    Lets hear it.

2. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do you feel about a single pin sight? I'd go with an HHA, and get a drop away rest. Everyone has their preference, and I enjoy full captures, so I roll with an NAP Apache, great rest and it's a good price too. Also I'd buy some practice arrows and some hunting arrows, generally you'll want to use the same brand and model of arrow. I have 12 practice arrows and 12 hunting arrows, but you would be fine with 6 and 6.

Also do you have a target? What about a pack to carry your stuff in?

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The easiest way for me to spend your money would be to get it to me as quickly as possible... I will PM you my Paypal

4. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say must haves would be your own release, a dozen arrows (6 practice and 6 for hunting), a target, a harness, and some broadheads.

If you have extra money, then I'd get any accessories you may wish on your bow.

5. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the target skins at ThirdHand Archery Saw them at the Harrisburg Show in PA and THAT'S what our family is going to be buying in the coming months. While you are there... check out the accessories! He has THE BEST bow sling, bow holder(s) --ones that attach to your stand or can stake in a ground blind! AND stabilizer straps for climbers. There are videos for each and I use them all. They have made my season so much easier--and safer!

6. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buy me a tree stand some sticks and get them to Canada for less than $200 lol

7. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did a review on the bow sling, and I freaking love it. I also just got a bunch of targets from him as well as the new parallel limb holder. We're about to do a 15min episode on how to build your own archery range using those skins, and they are just fantastic. Seriously, very well made and they can take a beating.

8. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A target
    Arrows
    Broadheads
    release
    rest
    I would also look into a sight that has a level on it because i am way more accurate with one with my level then without.

There are plenty of target to look at and choose from. I love my Mackenzie shot blocker. I have put thousands of arrows into it and it is just now getting to the point to replace it. I will most likely buy a morrel target this year and see how they hold up.
    Arrows: There is an abundance of arrows to choose from. So if you want to go with Carbon Express, they are great for an arrow. Beman is great also. Arrows can cost from 100 dollars for a dozen to 200 dollars for a dozen. So just starting out i would buy a dozen for a hundred. You will need to research arrow weight to help you decide how heavy an arrow you would like. The heavier the arrow the more penetration you get but the slower that the arrow flies. The lighter the arrow the faster and flatter it flies but the less penetration it gets.

Broadheads: Research what you want. Fixed heads or expandables. I have only shot expandables but this year i am moving to a fixed head because of better penetration. I will most likely get G5 strikers. With getting broad heads, you will need to research and learn broached tuning. broad head tuning will fully turn your bow and it will help your broadhead (either fixed or expandable) fly better

Release: There are tons of releases that will do the job out there. I got lucky and my dad bought me an 80 dollar release. But there is no way that you need one that expensive. Most of them will do the job and do it right.

Sight: I got a ready to hunt package bow with my first bow and the sight was awful. it was a little cheap plastic thing. There are several nicer sights out there for 50-80 bucks that have a sight level and will give you greater accuracy. I believe the level is important.

Rest: there are lots of rests out there and most of them will do the trick. I bought a 100 dollar rest and then when i got another bow it came with an NAP apache and I have loved the 60 dollar rest better them the 100 dollar one i bought.

This should get you pretty close to or a little over half your budget. As for stand, If you hunt public land, look at climbers to buy. I have a lone wolf and works great. My brother has a summit, and it works great. If you want a mobile set up with a lock on i would do XOP tree stands or lone wolf imo. Little pricey sometimes but worth the investment.
    But as far as your money goes, just research everything before you buy it and make a logical decision before purchasing anything and don't purchase something out of haste. Go nice and easy and get what you want. Good luck brother

9. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Scott Silverhorn Release and and a Tru-Ball caliper release that came with my bow. I LOVE the Silverhorn! I can't stand the truball but I understand it has it's place becuase the S-horn can fall off if you are sitting in a stand waiting to pull back

10. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely agree with this. There are plenty of quality rests on the market that won't break the bank. Personally I prefer QAD. They make a hunter model for around $60 which I used for a few years until I upgraded to an HDX on my new bow. Best of luck to you!

11. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I've been looking around for awhile and having a hard time deciding. I have a hard time deciding if I should be the best I can the first time, or buy ok stuff and figure I can upgrade later. I just hate to buy something twice.
    That said, here's kind of what I'm looking at so far-

Rest - Probably a QAD HDX, but maybe a trophy taker smackdown. Both sound good, both lock down at the shot. Roughly 140 at the local shop

Sight - Really don't know. I want a five pin. I've looked at the Trophy Ridge React, MBG Widowmaker, and the new AXT Ronin looks like it might be good. Don't know when it will be in stores. All are between 120 and 150. Again, still no clue on this.

Arrows - definitely want a dozen. Probably Gold Tips to start, not sure if I want the XT Hunters or Kinetics. I like the idea of heavy arrows to hit hard, but they're pretty expensive.

Release - again, not sure. Need to try a bunch at the pro shop.

The quiver on the bow is fine.

I think the stabilizer is ok? Should I spend a little to get a better one.

The string on the bow now seems to twist a lot. My peep is always out of alignment. Is this something that will stop eventually or does the string have to be replaced? If so I checked with both local shops and they charge 140 for an installed string.

Do I need a rangefinder? Seems like I do? If so that's probably close to another 150?

So that's as far as I've made it? I don't know if that's appropriate or not. Please continue to advise.

12. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to throw another option in on but if you are willing to spend a little money to get a quality sight definitely give Spot Hogg a look

13. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrows- look at deer crossing archery to if you want heavier weight go with 125 grain head
    Rest- look at the NAP apache to
    Sight- the sights you have listed are good sights
    String- plenty of good string builders out there 60x, parknsons archery, crackers, j.b.k. is the ones I would suggest they all make top notch strings
    Rangefinder - if you can I would get one

14. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stabilizer- I don't know exactly what stabilizer you have. I like b-stinger, doinkers, and dead center. There's plenty of good stabilizers out there to its more of a what you like kind of deal.

15. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a quality target that you won't shoot through in a week. Maybe a block and a 3d target. thats probably $150. You'll need a rest, IMO qad would be the brand of choice $120. Get a dozen deer crossing arrows using my discount code (DI298) $100. Bee stinger stab $75. High quality release I like the tru fire hard core $80. Range finder $150. Sight depends on what your preference is $100. 60x custom string set $70. Broadheads (fixed or mech.. just get high quality ones and keep them sharp!) $40, Tags $90, being hooked on bowhunting.. priceless

16. chainreaction

chainreaction Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a montana black gold rush 5 pin sight and I love it and it was 100 bucks. in my opinion the sight is definitely an area you can skimp on and get away with it as long as you get a decent sight with metal the whole way around the pins. also just picked up a scott little goose release for 60 bucks and love that as well. As for arrows the gold tip XT hunters are definitely a good choice and will not break the bank as far as arrows go. I have them and like them. The rest imo is the place you want to spend your money and both rests you mentioned are good choices. I have the qad and really like it. If your quiver is fine then leave it at that don't need to spend money on a quiver if you already have a decent one. I like grim reaper broadheads they fly awesome and leave good bloodtrails. I like the 1 3/8" razortip. Like others mentioned the third hand bag is a good target for pretty cheap. As for stabilizers if you have some extra cash after you get the essentials, then by all means go for it. make sure you get one that has the weights on the end that you can take off or add to adjust and Id get one atleast 8 inches long. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help you with your decisions. good luck it's an addicting sport and expensive sport

17. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my easton arrows they have lasted me over three yrs lots of shots on them. I like my black gold rush sight only think I got the standard and wish I would of got the big dog.i had to go smaller on my peep sight and really dont like hat. If you want warm cheap camo I use natural gear winter fleece.

18. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    So here's a question... how important is it to let a pro shop do your work? I can order everything online, and it looks like I should be able to install it myself? At least the sight and rest, whether I go QAD or Trophy Taker. It looks like they both clamp or tie onto the cable or limb, no serving or special equipment required. Strings can't be changed without a press of some sort, but then I can get strings from Bow String Depot, for ~70 and a bowmaster bow press for ~40, then change my strings for about $30 less than the shop wants to do it. Is that a dumb idea for a newb such as myself? I guess I'm used to doing all my own work on my guns and have a hard time paying someone to set up my equipment. I would really prefer to go this route but don't want to end up causing problems somehow in the long run.

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Changing sights and rests (at least the QAD, I have no experience with the TT) is easy work.

As for strings, on your current bow the Bowmaster will work but if you ever switch to a bow with beyond parallel limbs you may run into issues. But I had no issues with a Bowmaster on my Assassin which is very similar in overall design to your bow. I'd say watch a few youtube videos on changing string sets and see if it's something you want to tackle. It's not hard but there is a little more to it than just changing strings to get everything back in spec and tuned. But I think it is a good skill to learn and you will learn a lot about your bow and how it works by doing it yourself.

20. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your staying fixed look at Trophy Ridge Hit man series. What you listed are great sights but spending that kind of money on fixed sights is overkill IMHO. TR has brighter pins than any of them, honestly almost too bright, and they are tough sights at 1/3 the price. As far as the brightness it's nothing 3" of well placed electrical tape can't handle.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015