Microphone resources for filming

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by MistaWondaBread, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright y'all, Here are some links that should help you in your quest to getting good audio. I've linked various videos that compare different mic setups by people I trust and at the end I'll talk about how I setup my audio.

Mic Comparisons:

Rode VideoMic VS Zoom H1

Zoom H1 VS Zoom H4N

HQ-S Lavalier lapel Mic Vs Samsung Note 4 Vs H4n

Rode VideoMic Pro VS Rode VideoMic

Which is best for you: H1 vs H4N?

Reviews:

Rode Videomic Shotgun Review & Test

Rode VideoMic Pro Compact Shotgun Mic - test

Zoom H4N Review - Audio Recorder

Review: Zoom H1 Portable Recorder

Better Sound for Your Video: RØDE NTG-2 Review

MicJ 044 Lavalier Microphone Review: Good Sound Small Price

Informational videos:

How to record High Quality Audio on a Budget

Audacity: A walk through on the basics of editing audio using Audacity

Best Mics for Video | Zoom H1, Zoom H4N & Rode Videomic Pro

Quick Tips: Audio Editing!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

You might have noticed I'm a big fan of the H4N, the H1 and Rode VideoMic and NTG-2. That's because its what I use to get really great audio, I've tested them, used and abused them, and they still are coming out strong. I'm also a big fan of cheap lapel mics, and using an H1, instead of using on board camera audio.

Your camera is a camera, and it's not made for recording audio, it's make for recording video, the audio is simply a feature, and the preamps on them tend to be pretty bad when you compare it to a $100 hand held recorder. We never ever intentionally use camera audio. The only reason we record with camera audio is to make syncing audio in post easier.

Here is a video that we used this setup on. All the audio is recording live, and we sync it in post. This was filmed on a nice cool spring evening with an H4N, a Rode NTG-2, a Rode VideoMic and a lapel mic, and the swamp behind my house was buzzing and the sound of frogs roared. To adjust for this, we placed the mics directly above and below, and adjusted our levels accordingly, in order to prevent the sound of nature from leeching into our audio.

If you have any suggestions as to other things I should put on the list, feel free to let me know.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great post thanks for sharing it!

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for taking the time to do that, Im going to stick it to top of page!