Bow Quivers - What does everyone use and why

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Feb 16, 2015.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been kicking the idea around of upgrading my quiver to one of the newer, latest, greatest models. I've been sporting an Alpine Softloc for many years and honestly, its never left me down. My only complaint with it is weight and the huge bulky rubber mounting bracket on the bow. Otherwise, its served me very well. I'm just wondering if there is anything better.

My needs are basic. I do not shoot with the quiver on the bow. So easy removal is a must. I also am not a fan of using foam in the hood because of moisture and also dulling blades. I believe that means I should look for a double arrow gripper model.

Whats out there that people really like? I can't really justify $100+ on a quiver given that its basically an arrow caddy to and from the tree. However, if something is really that good, I'd consider it. What I like about that old Soft Loc is I never have to worry about the arrows or quiver coming loose, ever. The thing is pretty rock solid.

I've looked at a couple, mainly with double arrow grippers. The newer Alpine Soft Loc with power loc mount, the new Limbsaver quiver, as well as a couple of single gripper models like the TreeLimb and Tightspot.

Convince me to either spend or not spend money. :lol:

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tight Spot...sorry its expensive yes. But its that much better then most everything out there. The new models are foamless as well...

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tightspot here as well. I tried a lot of different quivers. I don't take my quiver off while hunting and I have not found anything better.

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using my Fuse Ventera. It holds 3 arrows. I tie a shoelace to mine that has a loop on it. Easy to hang in the tree on a tree branch

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a few tro glo carbon xs quivers. Work great for what I need.

Sent from my XT830C

6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just made the switch to the 5 arrow Octane Deadlock Pro - Got it for $75. It does have a foam insert but the foam is cut to accommodate the broadhead. I was not expecting it to be as light as it is either.

I was using an old one like you and changed for the reasons you stated - It was WAY too heavy/bulky.

I am happy with my purchase.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Just like you I used a SoftLoc for years and there really wasn't anything wrong with it other than the size of the rubber mount. I went to a Tight Spot a few years back because I wanted to reduce the weight/bulk on my bow. I don't shoot with the quiver on and with it off their mount is about as small as you'll find.

On the plus side for the quiver itself the head is foamless so no blade dulling, it's adjustable as far as position on the bow to better help protect your arrows (no nocks in the dirt) and also has adjustable arrow grippers so you can switch from a standard diameter shaft to a thin diameter shaft without worrying about them falling out. Yes they're pricey but in all reality you shouldn't need to buy one for a long time once you have it.

A similar option to the Tight Spot minus a little adjustability is the NAP Apache quiver. Similar mounting system and costs about 1/2 the amount.

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using the Octane Deadlock Lite. It's got foam, but I pulled mine out. It's not needed due to the double gripper design. The only drawback to this quiver is the grippers won't grip tight on extremely small diameter arrows. I shot VAP's for several years and on occasion they would slip down in the quiver some.

I also take mine off the second I get situated in the tree. Mine connects and disconnects very quietly and quickly, plus you can adjust how high/low it sits on the bow. It's super light, and they sell for only $40 or so.

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Call me old school (I am), but I'm partial to my KWIKEE KWIVER. It's the first quiver (4 arrow) I ever bought back in the late 70's, and I've used one ever since. I don't practice or hunt with it on, it just holds my arrows.

10. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a 3 arrow kwikee kwiver. 5.6 ounces, no foam, very small, dual grippers. I never shoot with it on so to go to and from my stand I don't need a tightspot. Makes the most sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I need to take a better look at the TightSpots. For those that have them a question. Can you pick up your bow by the arrows and they still stay in the quiver? I know that sounds stupid, but the old Alpine I have, holds the arrows tight enough that I can do this. Of course I'm not carrying the bow like that, but I've had, on occasion, snagged on something while pulling the bow up the tree and worry about losing an arrow in the process. Not once with the Alpine have I had an arrow come loose.

I don't mind spending coin on something of good quality and lasting design such as the tightspot if it fits my needs.

12. GAshooter

GAshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the Mathew's 4 arrow on my Creed. It works well but only on a Mathews. The cost was a bit high but it's well designed and easy on and off once in the tree. I've also tried Treelimb quivers, those are cheap and work fairly well, but the mount isn't nearly as smooth or easy on or off. The Mathews also carries the arrows closer to the bow.

13. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can definitely do that with my Octane. When hunting mobile with my LW, I use a LW bow rope that has a T shaped hook on it. Once hung and in my spot I lower the rope/hook and usually let it fall between the arrows on the quiver and then pull it up so I don't have to climb down and back up again. I've never had one come out doing this.

After reading this thread I looked on the Tightspot website and the two are really similar designs just the Octane has a second gripper.

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My problem with the Octane, and this does not bother many, is simply that it is made in China. Yes I know everything is made in China these days but I try to buy American made when I can. Bowtech is proud to be an American company yet they are fine with their accessory company making products in China. I have and will pay more for American made products.

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still have two of these. They make noise when shooting with them on so I only use them on my recurves, which I do not like shooting with the quiver on like I do with my compounds. I am a big fan of Kwikee Kwivers though.

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the definitely do. But I never shoot with one on so it doesn't matter. And with the lockdown screw it doesn't vibe as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the G5 Head Loc quiver for a few years now. I take my quiver off when hunting and like the tree attachment it comes with. I bought an extra tree post for every tree so it's quick and easy for me to be set up.

I might look at the Tight Spot that everyone's talking about though.

18. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot with the quiver on. I have the Tightspot on my Empire, it balanced the bow perfectly. You can make the arrows as tight as you want, as the grippers are adjustable. I have a cheap Tru-Glo on my PSE, but it is very light and still balances well. Has plain but very easy to use grippers, holds the arrows well, but is easy to remove them and put them back in. I don't have one on my Anarchy, I use a belt quiver for that one, only target shooting. I had a different Tru-Glo on it at first, but I'm keeping everything on that bow American made, and the Tru-Glo, as much as I liked it, was made in China, so I took it back.

If I removed the quiver during hunting, I would just use Kwikee Kwivers, nothing wrong with them for that.

V

19. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    tightspot on all my bows.

20. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kwikee Kwik. 3 Kwiver for me. Small, compact and priced reasonably. I go back and forth shooting with it on and off. I haven't noticed mine being noisy when shooting with it on.