Distance while hunting

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Koproller, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Koproller

Koproller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,

At what distance do you guys usually make a shot while hunting? And what effects this distance?

Thanks for answering!

Koproller

2. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I've been practicing it, I'll go out to 45yds on deer if the conditions are right (exact known yardage, open shot, relaxed animal, no wind,etc). I've had years when because of work or whatever, I didn't practice much that summer, so I limited myself to 25yds or so that season. I also tend to reduce my yardage as the season winds down, wearing heavier bulkier clothing and such. I currently practice at 52 yards, and consistently put them in 2"-3" groups, so 45 is still good for me in the woods. I tend to shoot better at longer distances, I think I concentrate better and don't rush the shot. BTW, I've always shot 63-65 lbs, and using Spitfire and Spitfire Maxx broadheads, I've always gotten passthroughs at those longer yardages. Some will say that the deer has a greater chance of ducking the string at longer distances. I respectfully disagree. I believe that being farther away, the bow is quieter and the deer doesn't react as it would if closer and the bow appeared louder. On every single deer that I have taken at 45, the shot was right on the money, not lower where it may have ducked.
    It comes down to what you practice on and are comfortable with. No one can say what that is for you. I have a buddy who keeps at under 20yds. He is limited on distance to practice on, and 20 is what he feels comfortable with. Review your equipment and form, and be honest about what you can do. You owe that to the animal.

Hope this helps.

V

3. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is 40 but I do site in to 60

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of my CB kills have been around the 20yrd mark. I'll shoot out to 30yrds without a problem if need be.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of my kills have been in the 20-25 yard range. I think the longest shot I've taken was in the 30 yard range. Mostly it's because I am confined by brush and branches because I hunt in the woods and not at an open field edge. I do practice out to 40 yards though, and I'm very comfortable with the shot just very few opportunities where a promising shot was available.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The thing CB shooters need to be aware of is that a "bolt" doesn't keep it's plane like an arrow from a compound does. It drops much more quickly when you get further out. Sometimes I think people expect too much out of a CB, it's not a gun.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I try not to take a shot over 40 yards. I practice out to 70. In most cases when I hunt, the longest shot I have is 30 yards.

8. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry. I didn't realize that this was from the crossbow thread, I pulled it from the "What's New?" section. My post was pertaining to compound.
    Disregard.

V