Need some feed back

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Oldcarp, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I need some feed back if you guys don't mind. I need to turn my draw weight down. Age is catching up to me a little bit. (mostly a bad elbow) I have been shooting 67lbs with a draw length of 27". I need to turn my bow down to 55-57 lbs. Most all my arrows are 340 spine 28 inches long. My thought is instead of buying more arrows at 400 spine I would go with a 150 grain head. I'm leaning towards the Magnus stinger 4 blade. My thoughts are the heavier head will make up for the stiffer spine and should give plenty of penetration. Most of my bow hunting is for elk.

I would appreciate any feed back, thoughts or ideas.

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What arrows are you shooting now?

3. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Easton Epics 340 28" long

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your going to be too stiff with 340 even with 150 up front.

5. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Turning poundage down that much, I think you would be better off ordering 60# limbs or getting a new bow with lower limbs. You will be losing the efficiency of it turned down that much. I guess that's not what you asked, but it's the first thing that caught me.
    With lower poundage limbs, you will be close to top of performance for that bow. You may be able to use that spine arrow and not have a problem. My last bow I used 400s to begin with (that's what all the calculators said I needed), but didn't seem quite right. After several months of good, but not great, shooting, I tried some 340s. BANG! They shot much better and more consistent.
    Just my .02

6. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    rknierim, Thanks I didn't even think of that.

trial153, I looked into that a little more and you are right.

This is my next thought. My limbs claim to be 60-70 lb. I am going to put my bow to 60lb's shoot for a couple months and see how my elbow does. If it does ok then I will mess around with a 150 grain broad head on the 340's. That puts me on the line but I think I should be ok.

Thanks for the feed back and advice

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't worry about shooting those limbs cranked down....the difference if any that you'd see inst worth the effort and expense of a limb swap. Been there done that.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That depends on what bow/limbs he has now. He didn't say if he has 55-65 limbs or 60-70 limbs. If they are 60-70 I would definitely suggest new limbs since he wants to go to 55.

I am shooting Easton Bloodline 330's out of a 58# RPM 360. I draw 28.5" and they are cut to 28". They tuned perfectly and shooting a fixed blade great out to 55 yards, which is as far as I can shoot at home.