Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by cml5895, Jan 29, 2015.

1. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's something that always interested me about bow hunting in general, ever since I was real young. Growing up I was automatically drawn to the new and fast and quiet compound bows that seem to be able to shoot accurate and speedy out at far yardages. But a sudden change recently came over me that makes traditional archery so appealing. I want that challenge of endless practice and honing of skills. By no means am I saying that compound archery or any bow hunting is easy. But the draw to only be able to shoot 15-20 yards max at game is a challenge I feel like hunting is all about, that's where it all started anyways right?

So there's "why" I want to start. I need some help from you guys for the "how". I do not have any traditional equipment so honestly I have no idea where to even begin with a bow or arrows, let alone matching the two. I'm sure that a new recurve can bring a hefty price tag, but not nearly like the $1,000 compounds on the market today. Any information on how and where to buy equipment would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for anything brand new at all, just something that could fling an arrow. Something I can work with.

I'm sure that I'll be posting many more questions along the way.

Thanks,
    Collin

2. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the lure of Trad. Bowhunting.. Once into it you'll find it's even more... You can pay what you want for a bow, from less than $100 on up to $1500. It's not so much price but finding a bow that fits you..

I would suggest asking about experienced Traditional Bowhunters in your area to help you. Don't rely on the guy at the compound shop, most just don't have the experience. Plus, those hours of practice are much more productive and fun with like-minded friends.

Feel free to ask questions

3. charleshaymes

charleshaymes Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing .