Taxidermy turn around???

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by cityboy, Jan 26, 2015.

1. cityboy

cityboy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just seeking some advice regarding my mount. Here's the story... Shot my first buck on 10/18/13 and took it to WW Custom Taxidermy in Brookfield, WI on 10/25/13. At that time he said since I was one of the first to bring in a deer that season, turn around time would be about 8 months. I'm a little concerned because it has now been 15 months and I have no idea what the status is with my 13 point buck that grossed 152. I left a voicemail message with WW Custom Taxidermy 2 months ago, and I emailed them 1 month ago with no response. I understand good work takes time, but I also feel they should communicate with me if it is double the turn around time they originally stated it would be. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it has taken longer than normal and communication is key no matter what business you are in.

3. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would call again and if you don't get a hold of some one stop by and see if things are okay.

4. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is 12-15 months. I agree I would call again or stop by. I've heard too many horror stories.

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd swing on by, tell the owner 'hello' and visually check on how the mount is coming along...

6. bighunter

bighunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Newb, - Have you got your deer back yet? if not, here is my story on them.

I had the same issue with them, several unreturned calls and emails after I dropped off an elk in Sept 2013. You can swing by there store, like I did, but they probably wont be there. Finally get her to answer the phone last December and she told me that the elk was partially done and needed till the end of jan. to complete. Well in March of 2015, I gave up and filed a complaint on the BBB. they called me back to come get the cape and antlers. She never even sent the cape to be tanned and was still in their freezer since the day I dropped it off.
    If I were you I would call them and tell them you want to take it somewhere else. If they don't answer or call you back, file a BBB complaint.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's not cool at all.

8. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    15 months is getting to be in that unreasonable range. If would definitely start hounding them.

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, that's just ridiculous. I'd be ok with a slight delay if for one of two reasons. 1. They were really really good or 2. They called to let me know that there was a delay and appropriately took care of the cape in the meantime.

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is all to common in this business.

The best way I found around this is to only have work done by a taxidermist who only works at taxidermy for his lively hood. Since following that rule I have had zero issue with turn around or quality.
    The first question rant should be asked is " is this your full time employment and primary livelyhood? " if they don't answer in the affirmative then they are disqualified.
    Both taxidermist I use charge more for their services then the part time guys and I am glad to pay it, in return I get professional service and product.