weight of broadhead, arrow, etc with 50-55 lb draw weight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bwtaylor, Jan 25, 2015.

1. bwtaylor

bwtaylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,

I am looking into new arrows, maybe broadheads, and firenocks; however, I am shooting a PSE Chaos with a 52 lb draw weight, 28 inch Radial Weave STL Hunter and Carbon Force Dominator both 200, and an 85 grain NAP Spitfire, which has done me well. I like the idea of light arrow setup to reduce drop; the idea being that miscalculated yardage estimates have less effect on a kill shot. I have never had pass through on whitetail. I am wondering if anyone has suggestion for different arrow or a 100 grain NAP broadhead, and most of all if it is worth it.

Thanks

Brad

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. bwtaylor

bwtaylor Newb

Dislikes Received:

Why the fixed blade - for penetration? I like the mechanical b/c they shoot like my target tips.

4. Ancuegar

Ancuegar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot 100 gr fixed blade bh with your setup. you need more energy to effectively use a mechanical bh. if you bow isnt shooting fixed blade bh with your field points you need to tune your bow. and if your bow is in tune, it means the arrow if flying straight and true thus increasing your efficiency of the arrow. dont get caught up on all the tv shows that push mechanicals. dont get me wrong, i love shooting mechanicals but im shooting a 400 gr arrow with alot of energy behind it and an arrow that flys true. and by true i dont mean hits the spot everytime. i mean straight with out tail whip or crazy flight.
    my wife shoots a 52 pound heartbreaker at 27" and a 3 blade stryker and an arrow that weighs 400 gr. she has shot thru several deer and hogs with that setup. when im shootin my insanity at 320 fps and mechanical bh my arrows kinda fall after passing thru a deer. when i shoot a fixed blade, my arrow zips thru the deer and goes another 10 yds past the deer.

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You say you never had a pass through on a whitetail. To INCREASE you chances at your light draw weight I would:

1a. Switch to a fixed blade head. It will not use any energy to open & are typically smaller diameter which is makes it easier to slice though.

1b. Tune your bow to shoot those fixed blade BH.

2. Get a HEAVIER arrow (not lighter). It will give to more momentum which will mean more penetration (and a quieter bow).

3. Learn to judge distances, use a rangefinder or if you hunt the same places mark your yardage with flagging tape. I use colored paint sticks as yardage stakes.

6. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go with a heavier, cut on contact head for better penetration,not lighter.

I am shooting 75 gr brass inserts with 150 gr magnus buzzcuts @57#.

FOC is your friend. Helix single bevels are bad *** too and you can get them from 100 gr to 225 gr. I would recommend 150's or 175's

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yardage estimation advantage is very much misunderstood.

8. bwtaylor

bwtaylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the advice. Looking into heavier fixed blade BH and different arrows.

Cheers, B

9. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some great arrows would be either Easton FMJ 400's, maybe crank a limb bolt down a 1/4 on each to raise up your draw weight since with your set up you are right on the line between 460 and 400's. They are a heavier arrow that hit hard. Or also some Carbon Express Maxima Red 250's are good flying arrows too. As for broadheads the NAP thunderheads are absoutly amazing and get the job done ever time. They have been around forever and will continue to be because they are just great heads. Also DRT broadheads are amazing if you are looking for a 2 blade with bleeder blades. They some in single and double bevel heads but for your set up I would use double so it's a good cut on contact and also will maximize penetration.

10. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is another advantage with heavier arrows. The increased efficiency of transferring the spring energy of the bow to the arrow can actually be heard, i.e., your bow will shoot quieter. To me, the importance of a shot is shot placement first, a quiet shot is a close second.

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Single bevels penetrate better than double. Putting bleeders on a single bevel defeats the whole purpose of the single bevel. The single bevel promotes rotation in the animal,creating massive damage and increasing penetration by helping to shatter bone.

12. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look at VPA heads. A great coc he's.

Sent from my XT830C