Arrow Choices

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Darin.mickelson, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Darin.mickelson

Darin.mickelson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So i recently just bought the new Mathews No-cam. i Pull at 62lbs and have a 27in draw. I have it all set up and ready to go but i cant decide on which arrows to go with the new bow. Ive narrowed it down to two choices, the Carbon Express Maxima reds and the Easton FMJ lost camo version....any insight?? Im not to big on having arrows that fly with crazy speed, im more interested in the penetrating power.

2. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go with the CE reds...they have great penetrating power just make sure you get the right size to go along with your draw and weight on there chart they have on the website.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    With everything that you've told us and that you're looking for penetration (which i personally thing is good with your setup) the FMJ arrows will without a doubt provide you with the best penetration. It's heavier and is smaller in diameter. The downfall of the FMJ is that it is definitely on the heavy side. For a slightly lighter (not too much) arrow with the same toughness an small diameter, I would look at the CX pile driver pass through extreme or the Eason Axis. Good luck.

4. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, the FMJ's are a little heavier. The advantage I see with them is that the weight is equal up and down the shaft. You can always add weight to the tip of the arrow (BH, insert weights, weighted inserts) but that begins to mess around with FOC and could affect the arrows balance.

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The more weight up front, the better.

Sent from my XT830C

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The whole idea is to get more weight up front than anywhere else... the higher the FOC, the better....

7. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Reds and love them. The fly great and I shot my first and second Robin Hood with them, a little pricey but well worth the money

8. BowHuntingTheBackCountry

BowHuntingTheBackCountry Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Axis can't go wrong.

BowHuntingTheBackCountry with Bowtech INSANITY

9. dtimm77

dtimm77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just switched from the fmj to easton axis and add 50 grain brass to the front end up close to the same weight. But up my foc. The fmj will bend. The there only good for ground hogs.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The Easton FMJs (Lost Camo) are great arrows. They fly really well and hit like a brick. I have never had a FMJ bend on me. I have had a pass thru on every deer I shot with them. I have 10 of the same 12 arrows I purchased 3 years ago. I lost one and the other one I damaged shooting at the Iron Buck at the GTG last year.

11. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You might also look into Gold Tip Kinetic Hunter Big Game arrows... 11.6g/ inch. Then add brass inserts (50gr) plus 100 grain BH.

Equals devastation!

12. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone know if I could cut a CX Maxima Red to my specific length? I know you probably could but would the arrow still be as good as it is when shipped at 31" or 32"? I was wondering because every time I looked at the arrows at the store they seem so Equal because of the Red Part in the middle. My Arrow length is 27" so would it still be as accurate if i could of a few inches off the front?

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes of course.however just make sure your Buy the proper spine for the length you're planning on cutting it too.

14. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just out of curiousity. Anyone with the Reds know what the finished arrow weight is cut at about 28.5 for those of you that have them currently. I currently use the Axis which are great but have heard a lot of good things about the Reds and would be nice to know what my finished arrow weight would be about.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  15. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best advice i can give for arrows is to figure out a few things you want:

1. Finished weight
    2. FOC
    3. Spine

If you figure out what finished weight you want, what FOC you want, and what spine you NEED, you can typically find the right arrow or narrow the choices down to just 2 or 3.

Based on your question between Reds or FMJs, it does not appear you really know exactly what you are after. Those are very different arrows.

Even if you can answer #1, we can really help you with the rest. Ah heck, we can help you with all 3.
    If you want heavy at 62 pounds, I would look around the 400 grain mark. In doing that, you can use a 125 head and .340 spine arrow on that setup.
    So, 400-125(tip)-18(blazers)-10(nock)-11(insert) = 236 grains
    If you arrows are 27 inches = 8.7 grains per inch

As a reference, the FMJs in 340 are 10 or 11 grains per inch. So you would be looking at something like the Reds.
    Of course, if you want to go heavier, just adjust some of the numbers.

Gold tip has probably the best calculator I've found for FOC. You can just plug in any numbers you want (if you don't choose a gold tip arrow).