New IL law

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buttonbuckmaster, Jan 21, 2015.

1. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that is a serious breach of freedom. Then again there are some parents expect the schools to raise their kids.

3. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No problem with this law what so ever. Kids are not subject to some of the same rights and freedoms as adults and in this case cyber bullying is such an issue that something has to be done. As long as they are only going after suspects of cyber bullying I see no issue.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The school system is not a law enforcement agency. If there is suspected cyber bullying it should be turned over to the law enforcement agency. The school should have nothing to do with it. Especially if it not occurring during school hours. They should have no rights or access to anyone's personal information. That's not their job. Their job is to educate! I can't believe anyone would be in favor of such a law.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would be held in contempt because I would not allow the school access or grant permission for them to access that information.

6. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are already doing this though. They are going to kids twitter accounts and searching for things that happened off school grounds and suspending them from school and games. I know someone who this happened to. They found a picture on twitter and because they saw a "suspicious" can in the background they suspended this student from multiple games this spring.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Twitter is public it is posted for all to view, passwords are not posted online.

8. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I realize this but they are still steeping out of there way to try and find issue and get kids in trouble. Be able to get passwords is just the next step and I don't think its right on either accounts.

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is conditioning kids to accept big brother control over their lives.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at published public information is different than invading one's privacy by accessing their confidential information like passwords. Again, this in not the schools jurisdiction.

11. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    This also extends to colleges and universities, so its not just "kids". Would you give up your password just because the school suspected that you did something?

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amen to this.
    There is nothing wrong with your example. When a student signs up for team sports they agree to abide by training rules. These rules apply both on and off campus and are clearly spelled out along with punishments for breaking them at the beginning of the season and remain in force through the whole season. At least that's how it was back when I was in school.

The problem arises when the school thinks that they have control and responsibility of all the students all the time.

13. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    If I was accused of being a cyber bully then I would especially to prove my innocence then after I was cleared I would just change my password. If somebody is bullying on any level they should be punished and if it means giving up your account password for a check of your facebook account then thats part of it.

As far as the earlier comment that law enforcement should be the one handling it. The majority of school districts in IL have full time or part time resource officers who are the ones who handle inverstigations like this.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    A police office does not have the right to search your person, your vehicle or your property unless they have your consent or real probable cause. Giving the school powers above that of a police office is not right.

15. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is whats its getting to though. They have even started to go as far as you can't be around your parent if he or she is having an alcoholic drink while out to dinner. They suggest you sit at a different table than your parent or go somewhere where alcohol isn't in the area. Ive seen kids get in trouble for that as well. I feel like in the past 5 or so year it has gradually gotten worse on how strict school are getting and the power they have. The password thing is just the next step.

16. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Normally I would agree with you but in this case I think that cyber bullying is such an issue that I am all for having to give up your password if your suspected so they can check your account.

17. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    The law isn't only about bullying, though. It says "violated a schools disciplinary rule of policy". That is far too vague IMO.

18. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it can save lifes and not be a huge burden on most of the kids I am for it. Its sad to see all of the new pressures on our kids.

19. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it was only about bullying my fault should have paid closer attention. It is pretty vague and I can see alot of school administrators taking advantage of that. There should be specific reasons listed in the law.

20. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Three athletes at our rival school were suspended because of their twitter and/or facebook accounts one holding a bong two holding beer cans. That's on them for letting their teammates down.