DIY - Over the counter hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Skywalker, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, if you wanted to do an over the counter DIY hunt out west, what would you do? Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk, Bear, or some exotic like and Aoudad?

I want to try my hand at it, but it will be my first time. My thoughts were Antelope might be the simplest DIY and easiest to find huntable land. Honestly I'm not really interested in paying for a landowner tag or a trespass fee, so I'm just interested in the over the counter tags on public access land. Or, if your a landowner and want to host me.. Haha. If I narrow it down, I'll apply through the draw and hope to get a good area. Since this is my first attempt, my guess is I won't get drawn so I'll be willing to buy one of the leftover tags in a lesser area. All my hunting experience is tree stand hunting whitetails, so anything out west will be a totally new experience for me.

If you have done something similar, let's hear your story. If you haven't but have thought about it, let me know what your thoughts are.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've done it a few times.. mostly New Mexico

3. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    What did you hunt?

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bear, deer, have done some hog chasing in TX as well. My buddy who I usually go with has also done Elk the last two years

5. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First year for me DIY OTC Arizona mule deer my son and grandson are in Phoenix I will go out in December for the late archery hunt up in the pines if they don't have too much snow. We might have three generations in the trees with a bow:wave:

6. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to Colorado public land elk hunt and had a blast. Did not shoot one or even have a chance but I'm going back in 2016.

Will is hosting his camp again that year! Anyone is invited and its a good way of learning tricks without having to do everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking for a place to hunt antelope this fall too, trying to narrow down a state with good public access and no points is interesting so far.

8. doeslayer

doeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Elk. Once you go it gets in your blood. I had it so bad I debated on transferring thru my job out there

9. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Elk for sure.... lots of good public access for elk here in Washington... Roosevelt Elk on the peninsula are the largest in the world

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've considered elk, but I think that might be a little too ambitious for my first attempt. I certainly want to hunt elk at some point, but I think I'm going to have to work my way up to that one.

Roosevelt Elk in Washington does sound like an awesome experience though.

I'm leaning towards Antelope, I fell in love with the idea a couple years ago on our vacation out to Yellowstone.

11. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went diy otc elk hunting in CO last fall. I'm like you Skywalker, most of my experience has been in a tree for whitetails. This was most definitely a new experience. I went with 3 other guys, 2 of which had already hunted this area before. So, that was a big plus for me. We hiked in 2 miles and set up camp. We all had everything we were going to need on our backs for 7 days. 2 man tents, freeze dried meals, cook stove, sleeping bag, etc. I had the option of going with my father-in-law last fall as well, but they were going to be camping in a canvas wall tent. I wanted the experience of packing in and hunting that way instead. My expectations were not to kill an elk, but to learn from the experience and fulfill one of my lifetime dream hunts. It was a great experience, but there were things I would have changed. My advice to you right now is to start researching as much as you can on all the animals you listed. I recommend this site of course, Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk Hunting and Bowhunting Magazine | Eastmans' Hunting Journals, MonsterMuleys.com - Mule Deer, Elk and Western Big Game Hunting Online Magazine Website, and various state websites. Wyoming and Colorado have great websites for planning a hunt. Call up state biologists and wardens as well. Just start putting searches in for any question you have. PM me if you want anymore info on my elk trip. I also went rifle antelope hunting in Wyoming in 2012 and am planning on going back in 4-5 years once I have enough preference points for a trophy unit.

12. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out some of the opportunities available in NM for elk. Some places will knock your socks off.

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    So I have pretty much settle in on Wyoming Antelope. I will be applying for a trophy zone, but I'm sure I won't get drawn so I have selected a zone that will have tags for my second option. I called the BLM and ordered some maps that show me all the BLM land access. I got the envelope in the mail, but it had came open. There were about 10 pages and a booklet, but NO MAPS!!!. I think someone actually opened it and pulled them maps out. Guess I'll call them and see if they will send them out again.

14. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd invite you out here to hunt... but there are no elk in Utah. Or deer. Or antelope. ;)

Actually, if I can figure out this 'any bull' unit by my house, I'll start inviting people out. Until then, it would probably be a waste of time and money. (other than the adventure of climbing around on some nifty terrain).

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'm confident you'll get it figured out. You a better hunter than most men I know, including me :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

16. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I'm waiting for my invite! Heck I'd go out there to try and kill coyotes! Lol

17. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Aww, shucks.. :o It's the terrain that is tough. The 'any bull' unit has some really rugged mountains that burnt off. Hardly any trees. Since the elk can't hide in the timber they just hoof it over the nearest peak to get away from people. It's foot or horse traffic only. I need to find some good elky water holes. It's my summer project. :D

I thought you knew that anyone cool enough to be part of Team Driven has an open invite. Elk or yotes, come on out. :) FrogTosser (big, goofy Greg) is trying to figure out how to hunt out here this fall/winter. Maybe with a rifle for cow elk.

Be aware that our coyotes have had a bounty on them since forever... hence, they are probably some of the most paranoid dogs on the planet. Killing them is tough but it's fun to try. (and there are plenty of jackrabbits to take your frustrations out on)

18. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I've been known to take out poor, innocent critters when deer don't cooperate with the plan lol! I'd love to get my wife out for a fun hunt sometime soon! Give me an idea on something she can kill with a rifle out there that won't put her off on hunting? We can make it happen!

Maybe Greg will have a matching Sitka purse this year? Hahaha

19. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm. What would she prefer to hunt? Elk, pronghorn, deer? It's not too hard to get a NR cow elk tag here. Hunting them can be tough because... mountains. LOL You'll need points to get a bull elk tag or buck antelope tag out here.

My husband and I are looking at going on a doe pronghorn hunt with Will (Iamyourhuckleberry) in Wyoming. NR tags are only like 50.00 for the tags. It's supposed to be a really fun hunt. Do you think she'd be up for that?

20. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    She just wants to hunt lol. Does rifle season go with bow season? She's not ready to go hunting with a bow yet.