Need help with a youth bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Praetorian27, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

My 8 year old LOVES archery! She loves coming bowhunting with me and has been shooting her own bows since she was 5. I got her a Genesis Pro this year, and I am afraid that it is too big for her. She is a tall girl, but very skinny and isn't very strong. She has a hard time with the weight of the bow. Not just holding it at full draw since it is 0% let off...but also just with holding it up at arms length. Do you think the Genesis Pro is too big for her at this age and body size? I was thinking about something like a Diamond Nuclear Ice. Much smaller physically, lighter, and has 70% let off. She shoots the Genesis well, but I am afraid she is developing bad habits due to dealing with the weight. Here is a quick video of her. She arches her back a LOT when drawing and holding. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkk__u2mS4E

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son shoots the diamond Atomic (it replaced the nuclear ice) because he had trouble holding the Infinite edge at arms length.
    My wife started with the Infinite edge and the plan was to move him in to it, just didnt work out.
    Same reason , smaller kid and 3.2lbs was just a little unwieldy . The Atomic (nuke ice) is a heck of a bow.
    Your kid didn't seem to have that much trouble, I think a couple weeks of shooting and coaching and she'll be fine.
    IMG_199225714357356.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015