What Seed Company recommendation would you suggest....

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Creeks, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be working on a new food plot this year and would like to hear some seed recommendations....Im leading toward , Pennington Rackmaster Durana White Clover Seed and wondered if anyone had used there seed wildlife products before...

Ive also heard of Invite, Deer Creek Seed, and a bunch of others...I just was wanting some input and suggestions on seed, etc.........

Thanks
    Creeks

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Eagle Seed or Plot 1 is what ill be using this year.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Monsterraxx and will be buying sight screening from PastorAndrew probably, he's a member here on the forums...well actually Monsterraxx is as well.

4. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read the farmers market bulletin here in GA and buy seed in bulk directly from the farmer, you don't need a fancy name on your seed..

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I, too, buy my seed from my local ag center. Saves me money. Anything I can't get locally, a company like Welter's is a great alternative.

If you do buy a premix, check the back for % concentrations and what other "filler" seeds they might put in. Make sure you're getting what you're actually paying for.

6. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that is what I have heard to check for the filler seed, you don't wont much of that....Correct?

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well it's not always necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes it's just waste. For instance, there are some mixes out there that incorporate a % of rye grass (not grain) which isn't really desirable in a plot situation. I've also seen mixes that incorporate a percentage of clover in a Brassica mix at such a low percentage that it would clearly get choked out. So, in that instance, it's just a wasted "filler." I like the idea of that when I want to plant the LC Brassica mix, for instance, that I can go buy 3# of PTT, 2# Dwarf Essex Rape, and 5# of GHFR, and know I'm getting just those amounts in a pure stand.

With that being said, not all bag mixes are created equal, there are some that very good (I've used WI and had pretty good success). I haven't used Monster Raxx's mixes yet, but quite a few members have and have had great things to say about them.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  8. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you very much for the info...Only thing Im kinda new to the food plot thing, But when you say the Monster Raxx's mixes, I went to there sight and I see no seed mixes, unless I overlooked it, or the wrong place...I would appreciate pointing me in the right direction, link...etc....

Thanks Again
    Creeks!

9. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whoops forgot to add.....What all this stands for...I figured out the
    3 lbs or Purple Top Turnips
    2 lbs of Dwarf Essex Rape
    but what is this......5 lbs of GHFR <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< what is GHFR, what does is stand for?...sorry Im green
    Creeks!

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    PM Monster Raxx on here (he's a member) and ask about his food plot blends. Tom is a good guy to deal with.

GHFR is Ground Hog Forage Radish. Deer love it around here, and it's a great soil builder as well (develops a large taproot which can help breakup soil).

11. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All have made good points so far. Definitely check the bag....but also remember this. Ag store seed is not made to feed deer...unfortunately neither is a lot of the seed sold by "food plot" companies. This subject is something that really gets me going. Ag store clover for example...yes it is absolutely way cheaper than clover in a bag with a deer on it...that does not make it better....or even the same. The cover varieties in ag stores all over the country were developed by botanists for one purpose...AGRICULTURE. that means hay production, green manure (cover crop), or pasture graze for cattle or horses...both of which have vastly different nutritional needs and digestive systems from deer. An ag store clover, red & crimson especially, are designed to grow tall and have a thick strong stem to hold up the plant so it can be cut and baled for hay. Even white clovers are pretty stemmy for the size of the plant...and leaves are generally small....the varieties used for green manure crops are developed to introduce organic matter into the soil when they are tilled under...so little thought is given to nutritional value.....none of these things make a great food plot. Sure it will grow....and it will look exactly the same to our eye....but our opinion doesn't really matter...what the deer think of it does. Several food plot companies use the same ag variety seeds.....a little red clover, a little ladino, a little white dutch...and voila...they've got a food plot mix....and charge double what it does at the local feed store. These are the companies that go on and on bashing coated seeds and saying that you are getting way more seeds for your money with their company because there are hundreds more seeds per pound.....that is BS! Getting a food plot off to a good start is not about how many seeds you can put in the ground with one bag...it's about seedling survivability....how many of those seeds will survive germination and become a mature plant? Coated seeds push that percentage WAY higher. The coating helps retain moisture, and a good one also has added nutrients to give that seed a boost when it sprouts. So while I agree that cheaper seed can be had from a local feed store....I also believe you absolutely get what you pay for.....in SOME situations, if you do your homework...paying double for the same seed you can get in bulk is not cost effective. But a good clover....made for deer....is well worth the added cost. There are a few companies that really have good products in my opinion....pennington unfortunately is one of the worst at what I referred to above....but look at the company...they are first and foremost an agricultural seed company...the food plot side didn't come around until later. Through the years....whitetail institute and biologic have been the best two I have used. This year I will be trying some seed from real world wildlife seed also....I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out. Good luck with your plot

12. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is great to hear, and I was only going to use that in which is specifically for deer....I didn't realize that about Pennington, thanks for the heads up and info...appreciate it!
    Creeks!

13. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a street view and Top View of the property that Im going to be able to work with...It's my Uncle's place and he as agreed for me to do it...He hunts also....This is what I was thinking about doing....
    Forum Use.jpg Forum Use A.jpg
    Creeks

14. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good! If you put a10 yard strip of corn between the clover and the rest of the field all the way around it will create a funnel for them to walk...Deer love to walk edges.

15. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see what your saying...Like this.....
    Land A.jpg

16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly! The deer will naturally funnel down the edge...plus the corn is a visual barrier that will help them feel safe during daylight...and it will help you stay out of sight while you are walking to and from your stand

17. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Loving this forum.....Thank You Bro, I can't hardly wait till I can get on it...Ive got a new Obsession Fusion 7 on order and Im bowless at the moment...Going crazy, so if I can't shoot or hunt....Im going to talk about it....LOL.....

Thank You Boone, for all that Killer info....really appreciate that
    Creeks!

18. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I've been bowhunting and managing deer for 12 years and I still feel that way....I'm ate up...there are a lot of guys on here that know their stuff....Just weed through the keyboard cowboys and you will be fine

19. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll do that, and Thanks again! You'll probably hear more from me as the year progresses, I hope that is ok with you....

20. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whitetail institute all the way.