I Buck Bombed My Car

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Parker Smith, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Parker Smith

Parker Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, there no way to really say this without coming off like an idiot, so I'll just own up and admit my idiocy here: I deployed a Buck Bomb inside my SUV on Saturday. I didn't just spray it a bit - it fully deployed. I wish there was some defect with the product or some fluky situation beyond my control that caused the Buck Bomb to go off, but that simply isn't the case. I took the tape off, pulled the cap off to inspect it, and then pushed the button all the way down. It sprayed me right in the face which made me drop it. It rolled on the floor in front of the passenger seat until I pulled over and threw it out the window.

"Why," you may ask, "would you ever open a Buck Bomb and push the button in your car?"

Despite the process by which I deployed the Buck Bomb, I didn't intend to actually push the button down. I was just messing around with it and - woops - I got 10 oz. of deer pee in my car.

So here is my question to the people of this forum: is there a good way to rid a confined space of the smell of Buck Bomb without getting the car detailed? To this point, I've used carpet cleaner, simple green, fabreeze, bleach (on hard surfaces), lysol disinfectant wipes, and Chemical Guys brand new car smell spray. My car still smells like deer pee but now has the unpleasant undertone of a public restroom mixed in. I also opened a box of baking soda and left it in the center cupholder and sprinkled a bit of it on the floor and on the seats. Hasn't made a noticeable difference, but I'm hoping that will change over time. I leave the windows and doors open whenever possible, but it's raining a lot in Philly lately which has limited my air-out time.

Because my car (and me, but contact) stinks to high hell, my wife is forcing me to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor in our den because she doesn't want the bed or other furniture to stink like the Buck Bomb. I would love if someone has some advice (i'm open to anything) on what might expedite the de-stinking. I really want to sleep in my bed, so your help will be greatly appreciated.

Note: In the event you happen to spray yourself with a Buck Bomb - I found that ketchup helped wash the smell out of my beard and hair. I used Bone Collector scent-blocking detergent to get the smell out of my clothes (Tide did nothing - just made the washing machine stink). I Let my boots soak in soapy water overnight and then wiped them down with a charcoal-soaked rag. The rubber on the boots actually locked the smell in worse than the cloth - I found I had to fully submerge the boot to get the smell out of the rubber. The boots will most likely require 3 or 4 days to fully dry.

***UPDATE***
    I called customer service and they said a combination of thorough cleaning (which I've done) along with a steady airflow through the car (using a big floor fan) should be enough to vent out the bad smell. I have the fan running now and will let you guys know tomorrow how well that works. I learned that my biggest mistake was running the heater in the car after spraying the Buck Bomb. The heater obviously circulates the air which has most likely locked the scent in areas where I can't clean or vent. I have ordered replacement air filters and am running the A/C on full blast along with the fan right now. Hopefully that will help the circulation and kill the smell in the vents.

***UPDATE 2***
    After 5 straight hours of the fan blowing in the car (I decided to move it around to focus more on the floor of the passenger seat), spraying an entire bottle of Dead Down Wind scent eliminator, and scrubbing baking soda all over the seats and floor, I am happy to say that the car smells 90% better. There is still a hint of odor whenever I turn on the heat, but otherwise the car smells fine (albeit, a lot like Dead Down Wind). I sprayed Dead Down Wind into the outside and inside air vents as well as directly to the interior and engine air filters. I hope a few more hours of running the A/C on full blast will eliminate the remaining smell. I was shocked at how well the fan worked on its own. Before I applied any of the scent eliminator to the car, the fan in the trunk cut the smell considerably - so much so that at first I thought it was gone entirely. Only after turning off the fan for about a half hour and closing all the windows and doors did I realize the smell was still there.

FYI - interesting piece of information here - I learned that the most common place for Buck Bombs to accidentally deploy is in a backpack. In the event you have this happen to you, the soaking in soapy water with a 1/4 cup of lemon juice knocks the smell right out. My boots smell lemony fresh without even a hint of deer urine. As they air dry, the lemon scent is dissipating and some Dead Down Wind will most likely get them ready to hunt in by Saturday :)

***FINAL UPDATE***
    I'm happy to report that my car is now pee-free. For anyone who may have a similar scenario occur, here is what I found worked best:

For Car:
    Armor All Carpet and Upholstery cleaner for the floors, seats, and headliner
    Lysol disinfecting wipes and Simple Green for all plastic surfaces
    Big fan blowing on high in the car (moved periodically to focus on different areas) with good ventilation
    Dead Down Wind scent blocking spray (sprayed into the fan periodically)

For Clothes:
    Soak clothes in soapy water for 12-24 hours (add 2 TBSP of lemon juice if you want to expedite this process)
    Let clothes air dry
    Place clothes inside tub of charcoal after drying and let sit for 24 hours
    Wash in the washing machine using Bone Collector detergent

For Boots:
    Completely submerge in soapy water for 12-24 hours (add 1/4 cup lemon juice if you want to expedite this process)
    Air dry
    Place inside tub of charcoal after drying and let sit for 24 hours
    Wash insoles in washing machine using Bone Collector detergent if necessary.

Hair and Skin
    Apply ketchup liberally to hair and beard and let sit for 5-10 minutes
    Rinse ketchup and comb hair thoroughly while in the shower
    Mix baking soda with a little bit of lemon juice and use it as a body wash
    Once you've washed off the baking soda (be careful - it can plug your drain if you use too much), use regular soap and shampoo.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha that sucks!

3. Parker Smith

Parker Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ...You're not helping

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Buy an Ozonics system and have an "Ah-ha moment".

[​IMG]

5. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Haha sorry! It's Monday so at least your bad situation was good for a laugh. I've had a buddy spray me before but luckily it was just on my clothes so I threw them outside for a couple days and then washed them. That probably won't work in your situation!

6. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the classic "what's this button do?" scenerio......man that has gotta suck. Honestly you might look at skunk odor removal, call the local vet and ask them.

7. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch... no way around it, that is more than a small problem. ...We've used Zep cleaning products to get cow manure out of tractor cabs. Deer piss is a lot more potent than cow manure, but I'd look for some industrial Zep products. My next thought would be get your insurance company involved... might be a lot of money to get her back to par.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, but I'm still laughing. That's an original! It sounds like you've tried pretty much everything. Maybe you could try a wet-vac with a small attachment for doing the car?

How far from Phila are you? I'm right in the suburbs.

9. Parker Smith

Parker Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to laugh even harder, consider this: I had to go to the store to buy the cleaning stuff. The looks and reactions of people when I walked past them smelling like deer urine was truly the most embarrassing experience of my life. I heard one guy, 2 isles away from me, comment to his friend, "Something smells like... i don't know... an elephant or something."

10. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Yupp, that worked! :lol:

11. Parker Smith

Parker Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in North Wales - hunt in Broomall. You interested in buying an Xterra by any chance? I have one that's only 2 years old, less than 30k miles on it, smells like pee. LMK if interested.

12. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This was my first thought. LOL Sorry, but I did get a good laugh after reading this Parker Smith. One of my brothers sprayed some Fox Pee out one of the windows in his ground blind a few years ago, only to have it get blown back in another window and right into his face. We still rib him on that. Ha Ha.

13. Parker Smith

Parker Smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know that a professional detailing will get the job done. I once purchased a frozen turkey from the supermarket that apparently had gone bad. When the thing thawed a bit in the trunk of my old car (like - 10 minutes or so after I left the store), the whole vehicle smelled or rancid rotting carcass. I threw up it smelled so bad. The supermarket paid for a professional detailing and the car smelled brand new after only a day. I know that I can go that route if needed to de-buck-bomb my car, but the detailing costs closed to $1,000. I consider that a last resort.

14. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That stinks ;)

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    An ozone generator might help, I don't believe in ozonics while hunting but ozone generators are awesome.

16. joejoe32

joejoe32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Damn dude..... I'm laughing because that would be something that would happen to myself.....Note to self, no buck bombs...check. The only way ur gonna get it out is detailing it. Sorry that happened it truly sucks.

17. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's hilarious. Goodluck

18. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry but this literally had me LOL! Bummer you didn't get the vanilla scented buck bomb with just a hint of doe-Pee :lol::lol:!! I unfortunately don't have any advice on how to get the smell out of your vehicle, but hope you find a solution just in case I "accidentally" let one of in my vehicle some day haha.

I'd imagine it's going to take time, because I'm sure that scent absorbed deep into your vehicles upholstery.

19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh boy.... I have NEVER laughed so hard at someone else's expense on this forum. I am so teary-eyed I can barely see to finish the post. You made my Mooooooonday dude! HAHAHAAHAH!!!!

I think you are hosed.... Just as well keep your windows down in your vehicle for the next 9 months. Look at it this way..... If the smell is still present during the season opener this coming fall you won't have to worry so much about scent control or at least the smell in your vehicle tainting your cloths.

20. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This might be my favorite thread EVER!!! Sorry this happened but it's sure funny as hell to read about.

I'd probably get it detailed and then trade it in before the smell comes back.