Broad-heads selection new here.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by altereddezignz, Jan 3, 2015.

1. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Please move this or let me know and please close it. I couldn't really find the correct place to ask this. I am new to bow hunting and i am now in market for mechanical broad-heads. I had my mind set on the Rage Hypodermic. Well after a lot of reading it seems like the blades and crush sleeve are single use only? That and a big majority of the people who have any videos of test or are talking about them are stating that they are breaking one or more of the blades? Now i know it shouldn't be a big deal to only be able to use it 1 time but at 50 for 3 broad-heads and then 20$ for 6 blades. And we are allowed to kill 6 deer here per season. With my wife and i hunting that is 12 deer in a season. I had only planned on buying one kit since they most all include 3 heads. This does not include the 2 per person turkey in a season.

So here it goes.
    What would or do you shoot and have had good luck with in the mechanical market?
    Is it reusable? Being shot more than once?

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Swhackers for a while now. Best Mechanical head I've found. Killed around 15 deer with them so far. I killed 3 this year with the same head....lol. I had a buddy who had issues with his blades on Rage. He did kill the deer but the blades broke on impact.

3. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am hearing about the broken blades alot. I have even looked into the toxic but heard different reviews about accuracy.

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I always hear about broken blades with rages. People love the holes though. If it's me I would go with a good fixed blade. Slick Trick standard or mag is my head of choice. Blades can be resharpened or replaced if wanted or needed and you can pick them up cheap. $25 for 3 on eBay. Usually 30-35 in the store. Come tough and sharp and fly great. There are a lot of good heads out there though. I shot a half dozen or so fixed and mechanical before landing on Slick Tricks.

5. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    When looking at broad heads, either mechanical or fixed blade. Look at blade thickness and how hard they are or the RC=Rockwell hardness.

The thicker the blade the stronger they are, but the harder they are the sharper edge and get put on or held, but they also will be more brittle.

Mechanicals are good, but a good fixed blade might be better for your application.

There is and has been a lot of write ups here on the forums, just type in the name of the head and im sure there is a review on it. Or there may be one on you tube.

Another thing to keep in mind is some mechanicals take more KE to open and drive thru a critter than others, that depends on how wide of a cut you are looking at.

Let us no what you decide on.

Beefie

6. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you guys for the reply's. The issue is about 600 acres of where i will have access to the land owner only allows hunting with mechanical. He i guess had bad experience with fixed with some of the other hunters. It is a very strict selection of people who can hunt the land. He feeds and plots all year. I think there are about 10 max or so with him included. Then myself and my wife. I have always gun hunted there and there are some massive bucks and doe there. My dads 300 acres wouldn't be an issue with fixed head but i would rather not have an assortment of heads unless i was using them for different game.

7. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. Sounds like some bad shot selections and lack of knowledge on the part of the landowner. Either way, of the mechanicals I shot the Wasp Jackhammers were my favorite. I shot a deer with them and they did their job very well. Thick blades and big hole. It is an over the top opener and does require a rubber band. Worth a look though.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Try the Killzone or the Killzone Maxx broadheads.

9. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No it was not the landowner that was using them. It was a couple of the guys hunting on him. The land owner had always used mechanical but did more gun than bow hunting. Sorry i should have been more clear.

10. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I seen these today at academy when we were killing time.

11. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Still watching videos and more review. NOW i am even more confused lol. I think the killzone Maxx or the Swhackers. I am only shooting at 55LB at the moment but will be cranking up bow some after im a little more used to it. Shooting a 2015 PSE Drive Lt. With my target tips and arrow, 55Lb pull and 28" draw im shooting 272 FPS now.

12. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. That's something you don't hear every day. Sounds like hunters who are making poor shots ruin it for everyone. Sorry to hear that. Anyways. Which mechanical you're shooting will depend on your set-up but, had good success so far with the Rage Hypo's this year. Also have shot the standard two blades, schwackers and grim reaper whitetail specials. All good success except schwackers. It's all about shot placement and knowing when you can and cannot take the shot. I shoot 27" draw and 62 lbs and still havent lost a deer. But I have passed up countless shots. I use Slick Trick Magnums and DRT double bevels now and they do much better than any mechanical ever could. I'd go with the Grim Reapers if I had to though. Sharp, fly well and big holes. Just my two cents.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

13. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at the Grim reaper 1-3/8" good hole, flys great, no o-rings needed, fairly inexpensive.

14. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well slick trick is actually made by a guy right down the road and is the cousin of a friend of mine. But I have read about inconsistencys in accuracy. The ramcat on all the videos and reviews show a very very consistent showing pattern like a target tip. As far as the mechanicals I'll probably be going with the dead ringer I do believe. I really really like the rage hyperdermic but the limit uses and all the story's about broken blades and limit penetration without a pass through turned me of to them. This is just a test video and it is a barrel I know not a dear. But there are some destructive testing I have also watched with shooting rib cages and bones that distroy the rage. http://youtu.be/6GfEsm7e7_s

15. Loganlee

Loganlee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Grim reaper 2 inch whitetail specials they fly awesome and cut a massive hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use rage hypos and they are reusable you can sharpen the blades but the shock collar is not reusable but it comes with six of them and they are inexpensive to buy more. They do the job and leave amazing blood trails

17. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With your setup I would stay away from the max cut heads. If you are worried about cost then you can pickup 2 packs of the NAP Shockwave expandable or the Cabelas Lazer Strike II heads for the price of one Rage or Killzone and you can get replacement blades for around 15 bucks. The big cuts are nice but if you hit bone shooting 55 Lbs you might not get the penetration needed to make a clean kill.

Cabela's Lazer Strike II Broadheads : Cabela's

Any head will kill when put in the boiler room.

18. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of suggestions and a lot of options.

If you like the hypodermics then get them. Even though you are allowed to kill 6 deer a person... Why would you need to? I don't want to sound rude but I highly doubt you and your wife will each shoot 6 deer each.

I can't even imagine a single family eating 12 deer in a year.

19. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i killed 4 last year and my wife killed 3 and not one thing goes to waste. the gun limit was 4 per person for modern gun.It is not all for myself. We give meet to a couple families that we know that were not doing good money wise that had kids. Cant hurt right.

20. altereddezignz

altereddezignz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am not all that worried about cost but dont want to spend a fortune when i dont have to.
    I am only shooting 55 LB right now. I onyl did this b/c i wanted to get used to it all before i started adding weight. I shot my archers bow about 15 times. It is set up at 75 LB and was pretty easy to pull and i was just as accurate with it.