UA Treestand baselayers......aka 5.0

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Cougar Mag, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone use them? I keep warm using some cheap baselayers but I have $120 in Gander Mtn. gift cards and don't really need anything. GM has these on sale online with free shipping for about exactly $60 each.

Attached Files:

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a buddy that uses them and loves them. They are heavy so I definitely wouldn't want them for a lot of walking. I have some UA base layers (2.0) that I use until it gets really cold. I have had good results with the UA gear even though some guys like to bash them.

3. Tenacious

Tenacious Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Coop on this one as well, every year I go to Colorado I use the 2.0 UA base layers. They are very comfortable and warm enough for the time period we go in(Mid-Oct). You need to get them, I know you won't be disappointed.

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After using merino wool base layers I will most likely never buy another pair of polyester cold gear again. Half the weight, better thermal regulation, and when I do sweat I never feel cold and clammy like in EA stuff. That and you can wear them a solid week without them being stinky. My UA gear stinks after the first use! I'd say for an extra $20 or so a garment I'd go with merino! That and if you do get wet it retains a lot more body heat then synthetics.

Only draw back is that its a PITA to wash and dry. Typically on gentle cycle and air dry. However I have found you can zap it in the dryer for a little bit to expedite the process if you are careful.

5. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dry merino on extreme low heat. Had no issues doing this.
    But if time allows, air dry is best.

6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Care to share what Merino layers you have? I've been looking but there is just so much to choose from... I'm in central MN so I would need something a little warmer than normal.

7. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my treestand baselayers from UA but like coop said they definitely aren't for wearing if you've got a long walk in. You will sweat like crazy (or at least I do) and it's pretty easy to get a damp chill after that. I usually wear mine only on days where it's below 20 degrees or there's a stiff N/NW wind in kansas.

I have found that wearing a UA compression layer under the treestand baselayers helps to wick away any moisture if you do happen to sweat on the walk in.

I've gone to the extreme of wearing just my baselayers walking in and getting up the tree, then once settled putting on my outerwear to help avoid sweating as much as possible.

All in all tho, I do find them to be warm and of good quality with a good fit.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sure First Lite & Kuiu. The zip off kuiu base layers are the bomb. You can take them off in the field on those early fall whitetail or spring gobbler hunts when its really chilly and heats up later in the day. No more, having to completely undress in the field. Drop your pants, unzip the legs, pull the tabs at your waste and they come right off!

9. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Closest thing GM has to a merino wool baselayer is UA Charged Wool baselayer........and its a merino wool blend. I checked it out yesterday and its very thin. Don't think it would be very warm.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Merino wool is thin and they (gander mountain)have merino base layers online.

I use the sitka merino wool as my base layer and use the traverse layer when its cold over the merino.

The merino is the best i have seen at wicking moisture.

11. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the UA treestand tops and bottoms. Worth every penny I paid for them.

Sent from my Z665C