Grinder

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by jasamb08, Dec 7, 2014.

1. jasamb08

jasamb08 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I am going to get back into processing my own deer. I have a little more time available in my life and I really enjoy doing it along with the cost savings. I am looking to buy a grinder. Does anyone have any recommendations on grinders that they use for home use?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 1hp grinder from cabela's....It great, no issues with at all.

3. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody ever wished they bought a smaller grinder than the one they have. Get a #32 size. I love mine. Doesnt matter the brand, just get one big enough. Then pick manual or electric. (Go electric)

4. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This ^^^

We have had ours for at least 8 years and have put quit a bit through it. Still runs and grinds like it did when it was new. Very happy with it !!

Tim

5. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I quess if you can afford to go big then big is always better. I just have one of the cheap $100.00 ones from cabelas, I only do a few deer a year so it suits my needs. I've not had a problem with it in the last 5 year's.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

7. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    Look at LEM products as well. I have heard good review's on there grinders.

Beefie

8. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Watch out for the plastic internal parts though. The few I looked at had plastic gear rings, so I quite looking at LEM.

9. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Between my dad, my sister/bro-n-law, and me we split our processing kit.

We have 1/2 HP cabelas grinder and a propane smoker. All in about $700 total (split 3 ways).

My only tip with doing it yourself is start small; some grinding maybe try jerky or making small batches of hamburger etc. It's a lot of work, but if you like it - and it's manageable it can be fun/rewarding. We are now looking into making snack sticks and a few other sausage varieties!

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the grinder attachment that goes on my kitchenaid mixer. If you already have the kitchenaid, the attachment is only $50.00.

I have ground a lot of meat this way but I wouldn't recommend buying a kitchenaid just for grinding meat.

However, if you already have the mixer, it's a good option.

11. DIY_guy

DIY_guy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a good choice. I would not recommend any meat grinder smaller than a #22. Mine is a #32 (which is larger than the #22) and sometimes its not large enough but then I do a lot of sausage making. None of my batches are smaller than 20 pounds with the norm being between 25 and 50 pounds at a crack. It costs less to buy a tiny grinder but you will regret that choice pretty quickly wishing you had bought a larger one. If you have modest skills, you can buy a #32 manual grinder and add your own motor. You save money and still have a nice big grinder.

As far as a larger hopper, get yourself a warming try from a kitchen supply store and cut a hole in it and mount it above you current hopper or remove the small hopper that came with your grinder and just use the warming tray. See link. You need only fashion a way to mount it.

New Vollrath 30022 Stainless Steel Super Pan V Steam Table Full Size 8 3 Quart | eBay

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on how much meat you plan on processing every year. I grind an average of about 2 deer per year. So I got the LEM Mighty Bite #8 (with metal gears) when it went on sale at BP for $100. It does all I need it to do and more.

Like other say, make sure whatever you get it has metal gears (self lubricant) inside, else you'll most likely be replacing the grinder within a year or 2.

Now, if you plan on grinding LOTS then of course go with the bigger #22 or #32. But if you're doing a couple deer a year, the #8 is all you need. An extra $300+ in my pocket is worth spending a little more time grinding. But I also was on a budget. If you're not, go BIG!

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got the same one from my father for Christmas this year. Really happy with it so far.