Crossbow dryfire

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by early in, Nov 22, 2014.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always wondered how a CB would react after being dyfired. Has anyone ever experienced this? And if so, what were the results? Pics would be awesome.

2. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff
    Looks like you'll have to buy one to find out, then you can tell us ok!
    Rocky.

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't most new cross bows have a mechanism to prevent dry fires? Not that I have tried it but I believe my dagger does. I would say with the amount of poundage it would be catastrophic event.

4. fairtondoeslayer

fairtondoeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i know my fang wont let you, it had anti dryfire technology

5. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a guy dry fire a old Horton and it wasn't pretty

6. David Bowen

David Bowen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dry fired my PSE Reaper yesterday for the first time. The limbs are now toast - splintered!!
    I'm told that manufactures don't carry limbs for their various models for more than a couple of years.
    It locks like the crossbow is now destined for the trash heap unless I can find lims.

7. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bad news

8. Thunderbolt52

Thunderbolt52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buck commander jump the string...blew the string off....bend the axles etc....cs changed the whole front end of the barnett...sold it after that..Rusty

9. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if you would call it a dryfire but last year sometime during December I was getting ready to kill a doe for the freezer. 22 Yards, broadside, pulled the trigger and all I see is the bolt flying about 5 yards with broken vanes and heard a really loud sound. Limbs were fine but the string that pushed the bolt was gone. What happened was my nock wasn't in the right position, so the string missed the nock and pushed the arrow out by the vanes. Got it replaced 4 days later and killed a huge doe a day after I got it back.
    Glad the string didn't hit me in the eye since I ended up finding half of my string in front and the other half behind the stand.

10. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not personally, but witnessed one last weekend. My son and I were the only ones at an outdoor range when a gentleman drove in, and set up with what appeared to be a very nice TenPoint crossbow (a model with "reverse" limbs). He was shooting at 20yards and I mentioned to my son "He's going to have trouble pulling those bolts...they'll be buried". He fired his first bolt without incident, but upon firing the second...we heard a sound like a .22 rifle, and the gentleman immediately put his crossbow on the ground. I suspected a dry fire, but what happened seemed to be the same thing that doepatrol200 reported above (the string didn't engage the nock properly).

I went to see if he was OK...and to offer assistance if required. His string separated under the center of the serving, he sustained a severe laceration to the right side of his head (across the right cheek, and ear)...it wasn't very deep, but was bleeding profusely. He also had a large welt across his left cheek, mid-line across his left ear. He retrieved that bolt...it had only gone about 5 or 6 yards...the bolt appeared undamaged. Although he wasn't severely injured (it could have been a whole lot worse)...it had to hurt like the ****ens.

I don't think it was string wear as he said the crossbow was only about 2 months old...and his purpose that day was to sight in a new scope.

He declined first aid...I recommended that he get both himself and his crossbow checked out - he packed up and left. I could go a long, long time without witnessing something like that again...and I certainly don't want to experience it first hand!!

Bill