Arrow Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by lgordon711, Nov 19, 2014.

1. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 29in draw, 70lbs and muzzy 100gr. What would be your recommendations for an arrow set up for me for hunting? I may be getting a new bow next year and will probably go down in draw length to 28 or 28.5. I was wanting to get some arrows now to use with my bow now. I would like to stay within about 60 bucks for 6 arrows. I posted this in the tech talk with no response so I wanna ask here.
    Thanks

2. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the GoldTip XT arrows. I like them a lot and they're in your budget.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spend $7.00 more and get CX piledrivers quiet bow and penetration = happy ending

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    you can get Victory V3 350s $80/dozen with blazers and inserts. Tough as nails and accurate as anyone on the market. Just really darn good arrows. I've shot everything up to Maxima Reds and FMJs. Always come back to Victory. I don't think my brain can accept that such cheaply priced arrows can really be as good as the high-dollar choices.
    (not knocking FMJs; they are outstanding. Just 2x the price of Victory.)

5. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Is that $7 more per arrow or per 6?

6. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Also as far as the spine say if I dropped down to a 28in draw instead of a 29in would that change much? Also For a new bow I was thinking about getting a 70-80 possibly and running it not a max but maybe 75 or something. Would I need a stiffer arrow for just a 5 lb gain? What if I did go with a stiffer arrow to shoot 75lbs would it still shoot ok in a 70lb bow as well?
    Thanks guys I do not know much about this arrow stuff and got "shafted" because of it with my arrows now. I did not research and just asked the bow shop what they recommend and they set me up with 400 bloodlines.

7. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best cheap arrows I've found are the beeman ICS bow hunters.
    They are by far the most popular at the shop.
    And they shoot just fine too.

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am an Easton/Beman fan. I am currently shooting Bloodlines and they are pretty good. I shot two deer this year and got pass throughs on both. I was shooting ICS Bowhunters (I got them for $60/dozen for bare shafts) but when I switched bows I needed new arrows so I went back to Bloodlines. I may switch to FMJ's. I get full passthroughs now with 58# and 379 finished arrow weight but just feel like trying a new arrow. I'd like 400+ grains.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    per 6 arrows

10. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Give this man a beer! Cant say enough about Victory VForce!

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a 120.00 per dozen arrow you're looking for. For that, you can get Gold Tip Pro Hunters. I've been shooting them a long time now and don't see changing anytime soon. Awesome arrow. What I also like about them is the huge range of components that are available for them. Weights, nocks, etc.

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These are also a good choice. Priced about same as the Victorys once all is said and done. My V3s group a bit tighter than my ICS Hunters, but it would be barely noticeable to most shooters at normal hunting distances.

Also worthy of note, Beman ICS Hunters are Made in USA...Victory is made in Vietnam. (Hurts to even type that.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  13. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys how would I know once I chose a brand and a model what actual arrow to get. I tried to research a bit online but it is a little bit confusing.

15. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm assuming your referencing spine.
    That depends on your draw length, draw weight and the IBO of your bow.
    I'm guessing your shooting a 100 grain head.
    I think at one point you said your draw weight was 70 so in the beemans that's a 340

16. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to absolutely keep in mind is that the spine charts aren't always correct. Some bows prefer a stiffer spine, especially with fixed blade broadheads.

For example, my Bowtech Experience is set at 63lbs with a 28.5" draw length. The arrow is 27.5" long. Gold Tips' spine chart recommended a 5575 shaft for my setup. However, with fixed blade heads, they didn't shoot very well, even after countless hours of tuning. Switched to a 7595 shaft (stiffer) and the bow shoots them lights out.

I personally feel that if you plan to shoot fixed blade heads and your in the middle of the spine chart for your setup, going up a spine is almost always better. Slightly stiff spine is always better than slightly weak spine.

17. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thank you my arrows now bloodline 400s are way too flimsy for my setup. They shoot ok but I could not get them to group very well. I just thought it was me. Then my arrows after about 50 shots would just not shoot accurate at all i mean a foot difference and inconstant. So I posted on here and you guys told me I am way under spined. So last weekend I shot one of my buddies extra arrows. It was a easton aluminum 2317 i believe which I think is a pretty stiff shaft and I could tell it shot slower and with a little bit more arch but It shot so well. I could put it exactly where I wanted to every time. it just seemed to shoot alot better than my arrows. So I feel that I need some new one. I am hoping to talk to the bow shop and see if they can work something out for me because they screwed up and sold me the wrong ones because it was only at the beginning of this season.

18. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These...in a 7595. These are the same arrow, but with different degrees of straightness. 001", .003", and .006"
    My arrows are always cut down, so I buy the .006"......definitely a savings in $$ for me.

19. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you go with CX Piledrivers strip those junky Raptor vains off of them and have them refletched with some quality vains

Dan