"party" or "group" hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dnoodles, Nov 18, 2014.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious as to everyone's take on the practice of hunters using group or collective tags; which my area is usually called party hunting.

I grew up in MI and IN, and in both states it was/is illegal (although it happens.) I disagree with the law, but it is the law and I follow it.

I've been hunting in WI for the past couple of years, and my buddy has an empty freezer so far this year (mine's already full of yummy cow elk.) I've been seeing does like mad, but only have 1 buck tag and don't really need much more meat. He has one of each tag. He said that if I wanted to help him out and fill his doe tag, I could. Now, with my experience and background, I told him it was illegal. He said not in WI. So we broke out the rule book and it turns out we are both correct- it is legal for gun, but illegal for archery. Now that makes no darn sense whatsoever.

I suspect that the allowance of it for gun is that when driving deer for gun it is often impossible to tell who actually downed an animal, so whoever needs it most (or still has a tag) is who gets to report the kill. However, allowing it for gun actually encourages unsafe hunting practices (everyone blasting away.)

Now, why would it be illegal for archery, which is by far a safer method of taking deer? Ethically (not legally) what would be wrong with me helping my friend fill his freezer? The state got their money, and they anticipate the possibility that a deer may be taken with that tag.

I'd never break the law and do it; but I can't help but feel it's stupid especially when applied differently to one method of taking deer vs. the other. JMO- what's yours?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Party hunting is stupid where it is legal. Glad it is not legal here ( ND ).

Tim

3. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    and you an certainly can give him some of your deer meat or elk.

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People who blast away will do so, whether they're party hunting or not. There is (or was) a part in the party hunting rule that said you had to be in voice contact with the tag holder. Radios and cellphones don't count.

Party hunting is a tradition from when meat and camaraderie was the primary motivation. Archery came along later for folks who are either anti-social or wanted more challenge. ( ;) ) I think the mindset is, if you want to just fill tags.... go gun hunting.

I know that the WI DNR does think that people are filling other people's tags during archery season. Particularly if the tag belongs to a woman or kid. I got thoroughly grilled when I checked in a buck during archery season up there. "What kind of bow are you using?" "What kind of broadhead?" "What kind of rest?" Questions that seemed weird at a check station until I realized they were trying to see if I actually knew anything about bowhunting or if I were just checking in a deer my husband/dad/uncle shot using a tag with my name on it.

I'm sure that's a legitimate problem. Would legalizing archery party hunting make it worse? Maybe. The DNR probably thinks so.

5. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they only knew you killed more stuff with a mag flash light then most kill with bow or rifle... they wouldn't be grilling you. :P

Tim

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could and did give him some elk, but when you figure she cost me almost $3000 in tags, gas, equipment and 2 weeks of vacation; would you give away much meat at $15/lb ?

I haven't shot a buck (or any deer) yet this year and of course will give most of it away if I do get one; but that's not really the main point of this thread. I just don't understand the logic of the ban, especially the gun/bow double standard.

7. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Party hunting is allowed for all weapons in Minnesota as long as you are all using the same type of weapon. Can't have two guys with bows and two guy with guns considered a party all together.

8. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's like many other regulations, can be done honorably and well, or could be abused and horribly misused (my thoughts on that go to lots of laws unrelated to hunting also). Every area and group has different circumstances for their hunting style and reading about different ones on here I can see where there could be problems with any of it and some more fitting.
    Just like all the different circumstances that get questioned, I think it's mostly just the people doing things maliciously or neglectfully that's biggest problem, then the flaming and fighting starts from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have people here that already "party" hunt for wives name, kids names and such....hate to see how rampant it would get if legal.

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I party hunt. All the time. In WI, for years we've shot and tagged for each other. We also *Gasp* do deer drives. :poke:

In MN, I've party hunted with my wife and dad since we've been up here. She only hunts the first part of the season because she can't stand the cold. She wants meat, I'm after a buck. When we both go out, she greenlights me to shoot a doe for her.

Can it be abused? Sure. But so can just about any game law out there.

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha

I don't have an issue with it.

12. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Fitz on this one. While I don't party hunt and don't have to worry about it down here, I don't have a problem with it when used responsibly. I know not all people will use it that way but then again, if they are going to abuse that law, they are probably already abusing the other laws.

dnnoodles, why don't you just break out a gun and get a doe for him? FWIW, I wouldn't be giving away much elk either at that price.

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a resident land owner so I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to purchase tags or a license, I just make my own tags and check them in online for my issued tag number. We also don't take the max number of deer allowed so we never run into issues with who "has a tag" or not.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't Ohio have a acreage minimum like other states for the landowner tag? Just asking out of curiosity. I know far too many cases of guys around me so delusional in their understanding of Indiana's regs for landowner tags and when they're elgible and who they cover....it's by choice though...they choose to stay that way. I know zilch about Ohio though hence the question doug.

15. Jimmie

Jimmie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are many arguments on both sides of the equation. Calling it party hunting is problematic...many opposed to hunting will try to twist the "PARTY" into something other than what it really is. Then you will also run into those folks whom I might question as honorable. Tough Decision.

16. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nevada has a "party system" in which individuals can apply for the same hunt, but each hunter has their own tag to fill.

17. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much the same here and why I hate party hunting. It isn't even legal here and being abuse bad. We have a lottery drawing for our 2.5 rifle season and it is tough to get a tag and only going to get tougher with all the tags cut out due to a low deer population in the next few years. I have to sit on the sidelines while some jackass is out illegally filling other people's tags. That just kills me !!!!

Tim

18. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, you just have to be a resident landowner or a non-resident landowner if your home state allows the same practice in their state. Of course there may be city limit laws that don't allow hunting and would take precedence but in my case my property is out in the sticks. Here's the License and Permit Exemptions for landowners for Ohio:

Ohio resident landowners, spouses and their children are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, or Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land they own.

A nonresident landowner, and the spouse and children living with the landowner, may hunt on that property without a license, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp or fur taker permit, If the nonresident's home state allows residents of Ohio owning property in the nonresident's home state, and the spouse and children living with the Ohio property owner, to hunt without a license, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp, or fur taker permit

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Nice...wish Wisconsin had something like this. We are in serious thoughts and preliminary discussions on purchasing land in Wisconsin....pennies per acre compared to where we live. No landowner nonres benefit that I can find but still worth it if we go through with purchase.

20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am fine with gun season party hunting and it has been the law in Wisconsin forever. It is just how the gun season rolls around here. I've been part of camps where I've shot a deer and another guy has not and I've hunted for meat for him. Gave me a reason to get out there and hunt more.