Bow shopping, need some etiquette/policy advice

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by OC40, Nov 15, 2014.

1. OC40

OC40 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I need some advice as I’m about to buy my first hunting bow. I’m not sure if it is the local policy but only one of the pro-shops I have visited was willing to show and allow me to draw back a few bows. They even went so far as to let me fire a few down range. I tried out a few Bear bows, which seem top heavy, a Diamond that had a touch of hand shock, and an Elite Energy 32 & 35. Out of all of them I found the Elite 32 to be the easiest to shoot on target. (Dear target) The arrows just kinda went were I wanted them to go.

Now mind you I’m 40, I’m not new to hunting or some kid out to “play” with the stores bows, and yes I’m aware these are high dollar items. So am I running up against pro-shops with odd policy or is this part of the deal when bow shopping?

Here is the other half of my problem, I’ve read really good things about the Prime bows & PSE, the issue is I can’t seem to find a dealer that either A. carries either or both brands or B. will allow a Noob like me to draw back on them. I really would like to get a chance at the very least to draw back on the bow before I buy. I'm currently stationed in NJ & more than willing to drive out to PA if that is what is going to take to find a place that carries a large selection of bows and a understanding sales staff.

Thanks for any advice

2. dhd

dhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere in the woods, though, that position may
    Go to a small pro shop. A lot of places will let you shoot a bow if you sign a piece of paper saying if you break it, you will buy it.

3. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm I don't know if I've ever entered a shop that didn't have a "test drive" policy.

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't buy one ever without shooting first. Did you ask them to shoot or did you just wait for them to offer. Either way most of the actual pro shops i go to try to get you to shoot. That's how they get you to buy stuff.

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most should let you shoot the bow if they have a range, if you're asking to draw a bow with no arrow don't think anyone in their right mind will allow you to do this.

6. aRroW_adDicted

aRroW_adDicted Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The pro sop I bought my bow allowed me to try any model I was looking at. They were very helpful and even let me draw bows back to feel the draw cycle with the use of a special release that didn't actually release. If you find the right dealer they will be very helpful.

7. OC40

OC40 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I posted this question with another forum and got a lot of responses. I am aware of the issue of a dry fire & I did ask if they had a range to try a few of the bows out. I made it clear my price point and still was treated like I had asked for the 1st daughter.... but none the less I found a really good Pro-shop that went way above and beyond. Thanks to those who replied.

8. 5 seas

5 seas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can try Targeteers or Lancaster Archery. Of course, depending where you are in Jersey. Good Luck. Call ahead.

9. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure where you are in NJ but I just bought a Stan Shootoff release from a shop called "Tackle & Field" in Wanaque, NJ, and they were super helpful and from their website it looks like they have a lot of inventory. Give them a call and ask about test drives and availability of the bows your interested in. I personally haven't been to an archery shop that didn't have a range with different bows already set up to try, but that's just me.

10. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any shop worth it's salt WILL not only let you shoot their bow, but they will make sure it is set for your draw length and approximate draw weight. They will also encourage you to look at more than one bow!

I "shopped" at a half dozen bow shops that either handed me a right handed bow (I'm a lefty) and let me pull it back once --yeah, let that sink in-- or only let me hold it. when I was finally handed a left handed bow, I told the tech "all the stuff is on the wrong side". Boy did I feel like an idiot.

I bought my bow where the techs spent time with me! They set up 3 different bows and I shot (or tried to shoot) them all. I went in set on a Matthews Jewel and left with the PERFECT bow for me--a Mission Riot. They were the first folks to treat me with respect even though I was totally new to compound archery. They advised and I listened to their counsel and I was blessed with success twice this past hunting season. I had the PERFECT setup.

Customer service is key. Have a high standard and accept nothing less.

11. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly... Without service, both during and after the sale, a great bow isn't worth jack.

12. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been to one where they didn't let me test out their bows

13. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't say I'd buy one without shooting it.
    Service goes along way with me.
    Last year when I was shopping for a new bow I shot so many bows and it came down to 2 bows, one from the local shop and one that was only available at cabelas or the other shop where their rather rude.
    Bought the one that I knew would get taken care of if I had a problem.

If they're not serious about letting you feel out the bow, they're not serious enough to get your business.

14. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bass Pro shop here in Macon,GA won't let you test drive any bow they sell. Last time I tried was about 2 years ago, but since then, I won't buy a bow, or much of anything, from them.