Radio Interference

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Prestonwk, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone had their shotgun mic pick up radio interference? I am putting together the video of my buck i self filmed and i realized that in most of the clips you can either hear a song playing very soft or sometimes the radio DJ's voice talking very soft. My mic is pretty cheap so that may be why. I didn't even know that was really possible. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is in the cable most likely. That is why many of us use cameras with XLR inputs. XLR cables are shielded so interference is eliminated.

3. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yep you need to use a shielded cable. I work in the telecom field and I see this a lot near radio stations. I was working in one station that had their transmitters on site and you could take a phone handset with a cord on it, put the receiver up to your ear, and listen to the radio station.

4. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright thanks for the info. I am using a DSLR so i do not have a XLR input. Is there any way to get around this? Do some of the higher end mics have cable that will not do this?

5. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Iv'e got the same problem only with 2 way radios. Buzzes on the video every time i key the radio