Giving up hope

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ztachick, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So far this rut I can't get any deer to come out. I've called. Rattled. Scented everything. Moved spots already also. Been putting a lot of hours in also. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Wind is right also. Rattle and grunt lightly and not over doing it I don't think. Just bad luck?

2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It only takes a second. Are you aware of the different bucks in your area? Do you have any pictures? Are you talking to friends in your area about the buck activity?

3. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man i've had seasons go from 0-60 in about 2 minutes. Its that time of the year when any spot can be the right spot. Relax, get out in the woods and think positive. Hunting can be a mental challenge at times, don't overthink it!

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Give a brief description of the terrain and area you are hunting and what's around that you can't hunt.

Right now, you want to hunt where the does are. Bedding, food sources and travel corridors. Calling blind and scents may work a little, but right now nothing beats the real deal and there is plenty of the real stuff roaming the woods right now.

5. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It can get frustrating, you can definitely start to feel the pressure to get a tag filled. I went 6 sits this season without seeing anything more than squirrels. Sunday-Monday, I saw roughly 20-30 deer, and at least 1/2 a dozen good sized bucks. They're out there, you just have to be there. I still didn't bring home the bacon, but I had a great time.

Even if you don't see anything or don't get anything, just sit back, take a real good look at where you're at, and just enjoy being there.

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Amen!!

7. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's the alternative?

8. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't kill them from the couch, get out their and hunt! The colder weather will get them rolling through. Don't give up get back out their and maybe throw 50 pounds of corn down and try that if you don't already it if you are legally aloud to ofcourse! But don't give it up yet

9. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just keep at it. Changes in just mins.

10. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I learned. Sit and shut up. The more u call the less u see. Just be patient. Sit in good areas and the deer will come by

11. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure your not walking through their main bedding area when you go to your stand. Other than that the above posts say all my thoughts.

12. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! there is a lot of chasing going on right now in Wisconsin how about trying to go in a area with a lot of does and just sit and wait for bucks looking to get lucky.

13. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I finally saw one of the 6 nice bucks I have on my trailcams from summer. He came within 60 yards and was checking does. Its just starting to get rolling, so be patient!

14. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the same spot brother. I have yet to see any deer this year, frustrating, specially after seeing so many last year. Even though i get out the stand in a crappy mood and think of giving up for the season, I find mysewlf sitting here plotting when im going to hunt tomorrow. It can change in an instant. Hang in there, I will be.......

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find the does. Right now that is basically the only thing that matters. If you can locate where they are during the morning and evenings, you can set up close and the bucks will come.

Last season I had tons of shooter bucks on my trail cameras, but none were moving in the daylight. I didn't see a single shooter buck until I finally killed mine on November 14th. He was still the only shooter buck I saw all season last year. It only takes one!

16. wack-a-doo

wack-a-doo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the same boat I have seen 9 deer on the property I hunt all season long and trust me a put in the hours every evening but a handful I have sat and every morning and evening on the weekends. I have seen one nice buck on the property and that was at 9am November 1st never presented and opportunity but It was what I needed to keep me motivated. The one problem I have is on trail cam I have plenty of bucks all moving at night and very very few does which might prove to be a problem for me. I will keep at it though and you should too never know when one will show up and present a shot.

17. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. The area im hunting is a small land of public. Tall grass. Next to hardwoods (private) green grass field (private) and corn field (private). Area is hard to hunt with the lack of spots to sit. And only 3-4 trees to set up in.

18. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Too early to give up hope!! Keep at it and hopefully things will pick up!! I do agree with the others guys though!! Locate the does and the bucks will be there!!! Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  19. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll try lol. Back in the stand as we speak.

20. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Bro! A bad day of hunting is "always" better than a good day at work!