Venison Ribs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by boof, Nov 3, 2014.

1. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who has a good recipe for some deer ribs? Throw them on the grill? In the oven? In the Can Cooker?

Everything that I've found so far has been pretty discouraging. Most guys say they're too greasy or too gamey. I already trimmed off the majority of the fat and gelatinous stuff, now they're in the freezer. Honestly, I think they look delicious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father in law keeps them and cooks them up pretty decent. I don't recall how he cooks them, but it seems like I remember eating them from his crock pot just covered in his BBQ sauce on high heat.

I do remember that you have to eat them hot or they can kind of get that waxy texture.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They always been way more trouble then they are worth...

But since you have them cleaned up so nicely already you might as well take a shot ....

You will need a **** load of them to make a meal..here it goes

Slow cook them in the oven in a braising pan, rub with olive oil salt, pepper, ....add a sliced onion, couple of smashed cloves of garlic, a few new potatoes and baby carrots, and some celery .... add couple couple cups of merlot, and some beef Demi glaze...

Cook it all on 275 till the meat is falling off the bone and the vegs start to caramelize.

4. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. This was the typical response that I was finding. It was maybe only 15 minutes of knife work, so it wasn't that big of a hassle. I just wanted to try something different.

5. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds bomb. Usually I just trim them up real good and add it to the grind. That rack almost looks worth it. Slow and low.

6. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The "low and slow" seems to be a theme. Some say boil, then bake. Some say crock pot, then skillet. Some say braise, then grill. We'll see what method I try.

7. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We boil the ribs until they are tender then we will throw on the grill to finish them off. Come out pretty good.

8. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :cry: Boil ribs......you guys dissapoint me.

Ive never cooked venison ribs, but if I did I would do it just as I do pork ribs except I'd probably layer some bacon on top.

Rub, smoker @ 275, foil after a couple hours with a squeeze of parkay, brown sugar and more rub. Take out of foil after an hour. and finish with a light coating of sauce. Times may vary as I have never cooked venison ribs.

9. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know it sounds crazy but it does the trick.

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with that...the first bite of congealed tallow and you will understand they are nothing like pork ribs or even beef short ribs for that matter.
    But the smoker would be worth a try if you can raise the temp enough to cook the fat off...

11. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never tried cooking the ribs but always wanted too. Probably will try this year as well (if I can hit a deer :bow:). I plan to cook them the exact way we cook our pork ribs, grill first with a layer of Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce and then throw them in a pan full of Sweet Baby Rays and toss them in the oven for the last 30 minutes. Slow and low.

12. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The wrap in foil should get things going enough to break down a lot of connective tissue. It basically is braising them. Our smokers can get up to 350+ fairly easily, but I would worry about burning any sugar in any rub. Maybe try it with just salt and pepper.

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, everyone I know says boil them first. I reply with learn how to cook.

I never boil, low and slow and you can pull the bones out every time. Much like you only flip a steak once, you only cook ribs once.

14. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I remember one year in college I killed a deer and my buddy insisted on making ribs from it. He baked them in the oven pretty much all day wrapped in foil then browned them and drenched them in BBQ sauce. They were absolutely incredible as we started eating them....then as they began to cool we all noticed that we had that wax film forming in our mouths as we ate. Was the nastiest thing by the time we were done. Swore I'd never waste the time again. Maybe we didn't do enough trimming, etc. but they were great as long as they were HOT.

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly ...... If you want ribs go buy them, pork, beef...anything is better then deer ribs.

Best thing that the ribs can do it get added to the grinds ...

16. wolftalker

wolftalker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The wife and I have always processed deer like it was lamb. Have had it served many ways but my favorite would either have to be served with a pesto or a lemon curd.

17. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be careful with your time if you smoke them. I tried it last year and since they were so thin, my smoke ring connected in the middle and made them very bitter. If I were going to try this again, I would only put about an hour of smoke on them before I wrapped.

18. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dog treats IMO...

19. LumberJake87

LumberJake87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Boil for at least 15 minutes or until desired texture is reached. I boil with olive oil garlic salt and pepper. Take 3-4 garlic cloves peal and smash DONT CHOP. 1/8 cup of both salt and pepper. 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Boil as directed and then grill. GRILL: No fancy instructions here just slather em up with your favorite sauce (I prefer buffalo wild wings Spicy Garlic mixed with a few tbsp of olive oil for thinning) AND GRILL AWAY! I usually grill low heat for about an hour.

20. adjg04

adjg04 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Please do not boil any types of ribs. Terrorists win when you boil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk