Hunting with apples

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Bartiks, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Bartiks

Bartiks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,
    New to the forum so my apologies if I should be putting this somewhere else. I have a question and hopefully someone in here would be able to shed some light on it.

This is straight from the DNR Web Site:

"It is illegal to use bait, salt, snares, dogs or other domesticated animals to take deer. Bait is considered any product that is transported into a hunting area and placed there for animal consumption. Baits can be in the form of salt, mineral blocks, prepared solid or liquid, or piles of apples or other food that is intended for the animal to eat. An area is considered to be baited for 10 days after the removal of the bait and any affected soil."

Question is, if I take a 5 gallon bucket put a bunch of apple's into it put a top on it and punch some holes in it and then hang it out of the reach of a deer, is that illegal? I don't think it is, any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know I sure wouldn't take that risk... In my eyes it is still baiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rtolliver

rtolliver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What state?

In Michigan we can bait, but a lure bait is actually illegal. We used to bait bear like that with donuts.

I would check.

4. Bartiks

Bartiks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Indiana, and that was the language that was on the DNR Website. I'm getting a lot of mixed messages from other people that I ask.

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I sure wouldn't risk it after seeing those words. You're bringing in food from outside sources and they use apples as an example. Maybe you're not directly trying to feed them but good luck telling that to a CO.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crush the apples and use the juice as a cover scent

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Join the hunt-indiana proboard forums. They have a "Ask a Conservation Officer" section where only a CO responds to questions.

As a fellow Hoosier everything I've heard from CO friends of mine or from just other's experiences this wouldn't fly one bit with a CO. Not worth the risk at all if you ask me.

8. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what if you mashed up the apples, mixed them with water, put the solution in a spray bottle, and sprayed yourself head to toe? Maybe I shouldnt be sharing my genius ideas on the internet hahaha

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I would also state that if you have to know if the line your dancing on is dicy...I'd reconsider. Again though ask a CO directly it's why they exist...and I have always had good luck with email or phone communication with them. Figure out what district you're in and email that one directly from the DNR indiana website. Or like I stated earlier Hunt-Indiana has a great section.

10. Bartiks

Bartiks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for your feed back. I will keep you all posted as what I find out. Thanks tynimiller for that information. I will give that a try.

11. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why not buy a cover scent that smells like apples? You can get it from Hoosier Trapper Supply.

12. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ask a CO so you know for sure. But putting something out to drip and "contaminate" the soil is a No No. We all want the attention of the deer, not the CO's.

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you'd get a ticket. Try convincing the CO it was just for scent and nothing else. He ain't buying that...

14. AmericanVeteranOutdoors

AmericanVeteranOutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All depends on the guy who catches u

15. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From my experience, if you have to try to justify it based off the DNR regulations, it's better to play it safe than sorry. The CO who talks to you may have a different interpretation than what you do if it's not explicitly stated in the regulations.

16. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    well I think it could be considered baiting, just use apple scent it cost less than $5

17. Michael.herb

Michael.herb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can always call the DNR office in your area to ask, Im sure they would be able to tell you exactly what you can do. If you have the time and are able, maybe you could take some of the apples and try growing apple trees where you are hunting. I doubt that having an apple tree that is producing fruit located where you are hunting could be labeled baiting by anyone.

18. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if you have my luck while sitting there with the bucket of apples dangling from the tree and a CO will be drilling you with questions about it then the rope on the bucket will break. have fun getting out of that one. would be funny though!!!

19. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its baiting if youre piling food. If its a fruit that drop down from the tree, and your hunting next to it. To the dnr on your state its fine

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    IF it came off a tree that produced it yes....but chucking it down from the stand is a NO NO :) (some guys believe it or not don't get that)