MBD! (medium buck down) lol

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Pitman, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a great day on Tuesday! I got up at 5 am and sat in the fence row behind my house. I didnt see any deer but I had a bobcat go behind me about 8 yrds from me and pop out in the field around 20 yrds from me. I got a great vid of him! Then that afternoon I went to my dads to hunt the hay field in the bottom. I was in a tree 10 yrds off the field. I was in my climber about 30 mins when I had a yote come in to 20 yrds before he winded me. Then with around 30 mins left to hunt 6 bucks started my way and on my side of the field! One by one they walked past me all at 10 yards. The biggest one pulling up the rear but I kept my eyes open to see if the really wide buck was going to show, I dont see him anywhere... Now the hard choice... here comes the biggest of the 6 and he is looking bigger and bigger the closer he gets! Do I pass on him in hopes of seeing the big boy later? Do I count my blessings and shoot the biggest buck I have ever had the opportunity to shoot? He is on course to walk by at 20 yrds.. make up your mind! He stops and turns his head (is this a sign? lol)... he is in camera frame and Im now at full draw.. then he walks out of frame.... I stop him meemp meeemp.. Im on target and let the arrow fly.. SMACK.. the string slaps my arm! My arrow is no longer headed for my mark! SMACK the arrow hits the deer in the neck and passes threw and sticks in the ground! Ohh crap! The deer scatter and he runs down the field and out of sight! Now Im sick.. It looked like a good hit tho (for a disaster of a shot). There was one doe and a small buck that were walking back and forth acting very nervous and looking at the end of the field. Im thinking to myself.. its him laying there dying or dead that they are looking at.. I give him until 20 mins or so after dark as not to bump him and start to climb down. I get my arrow and see the blood that squirted 6-8 ft on impact. I start heading back to the house and see him laying in the field! I go over and sigh a sigh of relief that my bad shot put him down quickly and head to the house calling my wife to bring the camera and our son to help daddy track him (he is almost 3 and he has been telling me he wants to help me track when I shoot one). I call my uncle to help drag and when everyone gets to the house we head back down to get him. I take my son over to where I found my arrow and he started tracking like he had been doing it for 20 years! Blood here daddy! More blood here daddy! We make our way over to where he had rolled around some and my son says "LOTS of blood here daddy!!" I point over 4 or 5 ft from where he was standing and ask him "whats that buddy?" DEEEEER! Its your deer daddy! He was so happy! I know it isnt a huge deer.. not even a shooter for a lot of people. But this deer gave me a great day and great memories! This was a day and a deer I will not soon forget and for that I am thankful!

IMG_7725.jpg IMG_7726.jpg IMG_7727.jpg IMG_7729.jpg IMG_7741.jpg IMG_7743.jpg IMG_7744.jpg

Video of the bobcat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp1B4ofTPVo&feature=youtu.be

Video of my deer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKr0oLuOQec&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont see any reason to NOT be proud of that deer. Glad to hear an 'oops' turned out well. Thanks for sharing with us. Sounds like a great day :)
    And congrats on a fine deer taken

Sent from my SCH-I535

3. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good post. I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like everyone got in on the fun. That's what its all about.

4. mayday

mayday Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a great buck! For you to get to share that with your boy is amazing. I've been promising my son (4years old) that I'll let him come out with me after I shoot one this year, I took him scouting and all he does is ask my wife why I didn't take him hunting with me now. Great story and great job!

5. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys.. and I am in no way disappointed in him. He is my nicest buck to date and I am very proud of him. I do however know he is nothing like the buck I seen in that same bottom on the 5th of this month and posted pics and vids of on here. Im just truthful with myself, thats why I said MBD (medium buck down!) lol I am so proud that I cant help myself.. a couple more pics. :D

2.jpg
    IMG_7847.jpg
    IMG_7854.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thats a great buck and awesome story!! Love getting them kids involved like that!!

7. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on getting it done an enjoying the moment with your youngin great buck

8. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That buck is a shooter all day for me, nice job.

9. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent buck! Congrats.

10. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great story. I've taken the oldest out with me before but not our youngest yet. I'm hoping to have some luck this fall so I can take them both with me after I get a deer. They both keep asking me when we are going to go. It just needs to cool off a little.
    Those are priceless moments.

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck and an even better story! I would take that buck any day!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  12. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your story with us.

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great buck.

14. GordysHGH

GordysHGH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck, its always great to see everyone including there family in there passion the best they can! Truly amazing memory for you and your boy! Congrats!

15. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MBD??? Not here in my neck of the woods Dan - he's a beauty for sure!
    GREAT story and congratulations on your biggest to date :bow:

16. Csw60970

Csw60970 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story and great buck

17. 33canuck

33canuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking buck congrats!

18. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice buck! I love your sons expression while he's holding up the deers head my daughter was the same way.

19. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hes a nice one congrats!

20. butterbean

butterbean Newb

Dislikes Received:
    lol yeah thats not meduim to me. Beautiful deer and congradulations. I love how your son helped you. Mine is two and hes the reason I started hunting just a few years ago. I wanted to be able to teach him something and spend time with him.