A sad prayer answered, I'm speechless and at the mercy.........

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ***please bear with me, this isn't easy for me to say, and please dont judge me or post negative comments***

So I've never really been a religious person. The only times i would ever find myself saying the lords name was in vein, and cursing, and even questioning every church goer's beliefs. I found that the only times i have prayed in life was well, asking for somthing for me, for help. Never thought I was answered. Sure i prayed while in iraq asking him to save my butt in a few tight spots, but still turned my back on him when it was over.
    My grandma who is 92 has been battling severe dimentia for almost 10 years. about 3 months ago she fell and broke her hip. she recovered from surgery but slowly was going downhill. The last 3 months have required at least 2 family members care 24/7. she was getting bed sores as she was bed ridden. she stopped eating last tuesday, and hospice started the morphine. i talk to my mom daily as she is the eldest and one of the caretakers, yesterday afternoon i could hear in my mom's voice she was exhausted. last night at 7pm as i was going to bed, i looked out the window up to the sky and said out loud (i was home alone)

"God, I know i've always asked you for stuff for me, or to better my situation, swore at you, laughed at the thought of your existance, and well God I've never really said thank you for what i have been blessed with.....this time i ask that you take my grandmothers hand, please end her suffering, relieve my mother and aunt and take her up to you to be with gramp.....Thanks"

i go to bed drift off to sleep, my phone rings at 7:20....it was my mom, my grandmother died a few minutes after 7pm...I was slowly coming to tears first i said to my mom "I'm so sorry mom, are you ok, can i do anything?".....then it hit me.....my prayer had been answered. A rush of a feeling came over me as i was brought to even more tears, as i realized this. I told my mom about the prayer of course she was crying when she heard.
    I hang up the phone and lay there in bed, crying, smiling, hurting, in complete AWE....then it hit me even more...he is real, God is real and has ALWAYS been there with me, never turned his back on me like i did to him,
    and answered my prayer...

This is hitting me pretty hard, Because I always questioned him and challenged him and calling him out.
    and he was there for me and answered me....

of course now I'm thinking...."OH CRAP!!!!!!!" all the awful sins I have committed, I know i can never undo those sins, and i accept that, but man i feel like I've been living my 38 years all wrong, and feel so humbled, so selfish, and feel like such a fool, and can't believe how much i must have let him down. Like i said this is all new to me, and hitting me real hard. I Don't know if i will be a every sunday mass attendee, Because i've always believed I can worship in my own way, but i can tell you this, I WILL pray daily, and thank our lord for EVERYTHING.....

Here's a pic of my grandma and grandpa at there 50th wedding anniversary 20 years ago.....I would like to think this was the scene last night at the gates of heaven...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no shame in admitting this brought me to tears brother. Never lose the unworthy feeling, it keeps us grounded and grateful for the blessings we get. Prayers to all of your family brother.....blessings.

3. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Ty.

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fighting back tears myself. My grandmother was also in hospice care a few months ago and passed on. More than one prayer was answered for your family. Death is not easy to talk about. Hope your family is already healing.

5. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Amen, and thanks for sharing. I too had this funny liquid building up in my eyes.

6. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awe, there are a bunch of squishy guys here; very touching story.

(hugs) Those pictures are sweet. Without knowing them, I can only imagine those two smiling Grandparents are joined together again - recapturing the moments they've missed on.

Good thoughts to you and your family. I believe someone is always there to answer your prayers, just takes a while to realize it.

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Joe, i am sitting in my car about to head back to the office and tears are streaming down my face....

I only want to say 2 things to you...
    Hallelujah!!!!!

Call me ANY time, night.or day for any reason.....love you, brother!

8. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow Joe.....wow.....this one hit me hard......peace be with you and your family bud

9. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My heart goes out to you and your family Swamp Stalker. Thank you for sharing your story man. Life is tough! no doubt about it but I certainly believe God is watching us. Many a times observing and not intervening but every now and then he lays his merciful hands on us. God's love is unfailing bro don't ever doubt it & evidence of his creation is all around us. Everyone on this forum that is an outdoorsman/woman can see it in nature & yet some people do not admit God exists.

We can talk for the rest of our lives about this subject but I'll keep it short. It's awesome hearing stories like this where the Lord shows his presence in someones life. Swamp Stalker you don't have to worry about being a regular church attendee..if you become one great if not remember what Jesus told us in Matthew 6:6- When you pray do so in private...Not for others to hear..but for the Lord to hear. The Lord definitely heard you my friend. He always will. Just don't forget he loves praise and he loves that we acknowledge his awesomeness.

Lastly, keep that memory of your Grandparents alive. 50 plus years of marriage is a huge testimony to Godly love. I'm certain both your Grandparents and the Lord are pleased you shared this awesome testimony.

Grace and Peace brother.

10. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me first say I'm sorry for your loss.... And secondly thanks so much for this post..... I don't know you personally but just through this board but I always see your cheerful attitude, your always liking others posts and trust me when I say this, The Lord knows you better then any of us, and it seems as if he spoke to you through this situation.... Take a walk with him and I garantee you won't be sorry... Great post and again thanks for sharing

11. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much everyone, your posts/thoughts/prayers mean Alot to me.

12. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Prayers to your family. I had this happen to my great grandmother and my great uncle in just a week two years ago. I was one of my great uncles last visitors and as i left i kissed him on the head saying " Ill see you again soon." He passed later that night. And my comment to him couldn't be any more true. Because of Jesus Christ.
    I will never be worthy or good enough. God knew how i was going to act and He knew all of my sins before i did, yet God said to me, " I loved you so much that I gave my Son to take your place."
    Sometimes we don't understand the bigger picture. And most of the time it hurts. But I can rest in the fact that God has overcome death and my place is with the King because of Jesus Christ. I am praying for God's love to surround and fill your family.

13. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry for your lose Joe. This post and the one you had on facebook both made me choke up a bit.

I can't tell you how happy I am for you and your new found faith in the Lord. It's overwhelming no doubt. He's brought me to my knees in amazement and admiration a few times. I'm blown away at verses I read in the bible all the time!

I to am here to talk whenever you need man!

Again sorry for your lose. But rejoicing in your discovery! You are a great man Joe

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Powerful story buddy, thanks so much for sharing. You and your family are in my prayers. As others have said, anytime you wanna talk, let me know.

15. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Condolences to you and your family.

Thanks for sharing your story. I needed to hear that.

16. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Joe what a touching story and yes this grumpy combat vet needed to wipe his eyes. God bless you and your family and provide comfort, and now her and your grandfather are reunited and watching down over you. I know your feelings on the religious/spirituality side as I've questioned/cussed God especially recently when I lost Gus. Sometimes He does things we don't like and understand but believing and praying can move mountains when we least expect it. Glad to know you as a teammate and I would say friend, and glad your family can find peace in the loss and know they are holding hands smiling down on you all.

17. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great story Joe, prayers sent to you and your family.

18. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your lost....Prayer to you and your family....God is amazing he always watches over us no matter what we have done to him even when we dont believe or act like idiots he still loves us so much. He is the most amazing father anyone can ever know. Took me 28 years to figure out that the life i was leading was heading no where fast and thank God i finally listened and submitted my life to him. In only 4 years he has fullfil all my dreams and has giving me a amazing calling that honestly i dont come close to deserving but he loves me that much. If your not connected in a church then just ask him to lead you to one. I when to a few churches before i found my home church. Find the right one and trust me your family will have just gotten bigger and we need that!! God Bless and very happy for this salvation!!!

19. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Amen bro. Im sorry about your loss.

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss Joe, I hope she is in a better place.