Spot and Stalk

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fullthrottle, Oct 19, 2014.

1. fullthrottle

fullthrottle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what do you guys think of Spot and Stock hunting any type animal.

I find Spot and Stocking to be fun and a bit more of a rush than the sit and wait game. I leaving my hunt to day when I got back to my Jeep I saw something in the fresh cut corn field at first what I thought was a small doe at about 460 yards with the naked eye it just at first glance first thought deer I was going to watch and see where it was going, so I pulled up My Halo x-ray 700 to range it and to get a better look with some magnification I found it to be the biggest coyote I've seen and I have a few trail cam picture of he's a big boy, and seems the coyotes have been running my deer off the property I thought I'll make a play and see how it goes with the wind in my face and a fresh spray of DDW I started to creep out into the field that has no stocks ( good combine works like a lawn mower apparently) got out about 40 yards and took another look he started running back and forth like he was chasing something then settled down but not taking a chance I started to belly crawling out ranged him again 346 yards kept crawling got closer ranged him again 102 yards only had 60 to go kept crawling as I thought I was within range and just like that he turned and walked off into the remaining standing corn he never knew I was there that I could tell and never knew how close he was to being another skull in my collection. Even though it was unsuccessful stalk it was a rush.

2. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know I have always hunted deer from a stand and have been trying to sit in the edge of the field with my son (behind brush ect) and I have a new respect for hunting from the ground now. I suck at it! My son pointed at a fawn that was no more than 10 yards from us while I was waiting for momma to walk by... hunt over. I stopped a doe running by and used the wrong pin.. hunt over.. then tonight I had a doe in at 13 yrds and tried to raise up just enuff for the shot.. hunt over. Im also trying to self record for the first time while hunting this year and that adds to my suck! LOL

3. fullthrottle

fullthrottle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Ground blinds are great for ground hunting and if you look around you can find them fairly reasonable I'd definitely invest in one or two. I myself have hunted successfully out of them but like all hunters I've hit a dry spell in the last 3 years and I'm up to try anything legal in the means of hunting I use Ameristep ground blinds the brickhouse is the one i use but you may need to step up a little bigger if you want to hunt 2 out of it. It's possible but it would be tight good luck

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to spot and stalk a lot when I hunted with trad gear. I stayed on the ground mostly so if action was slow I'd start still hunting and once I spotted a deer the stalk was on. One of the deer I am most proud of was a doe, but I spotted her feeding in a field with waist high grass. I got to with 14 yards and made the shot. I am not sure why I don't do that still, probably because I always have my treestand on my back now. I used to really enjoy it.

5. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I think that's real hunting. I have limited hunting experience but I did spot and stalk for elk. There was a couple of times I tried to sit in one spot, but that got boring and cold. Not getting on a high horse as I don't care how one hunts, I just don't know how one can stand being in a tree stand for hours on end. I'd get bored or real pissed at the squirrels.

6. stro1965

stro1965 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got home last night from a 5 day spot and stalk mule deer hunt. Didn't shoot a single arrow and came home empty handed. I did get to within 40 yards of a nice buck, and had him broadside at 40 yards, but the very stiff crosswind made me let down. Had a blast though!

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think he should be banned for life. What he did to that dove was just unforgiveable.

--->>SSSSWACK

:ninja:

8. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah!! Love it. The only way for me. The search! It's hard when the woods are real thick. We got some gnarly chaparral around here its amazing to me how well the deer move through it. I'm pretty sure a tree stand situation wouldn't work where I hunt. They never move the same way twice these black tail. It's been real dry out here in Cali. You could post up on a spring and wait but even then you'd need a good stroke of luck to happen across. The experiences and encounters with animals from the ground I've had are unforgettable. I've had a doe walk up to me sitting in a bush 5 feet away meanwhile the fork I wanted to shoot was able to just meander away. I've slapped a doe on the butt slow stalking in a willow tunnel along a river. She freaked. That stuff doesn't happen in a tree. If you wanna shoot a big white tail head up the tree. Get it done. It works great. If you wanna have the time of your life sneak up on em. You'd be surprised how the react sometimes. I'll be honest and say most of the deer I stalk will peg me. If I act right a lot of the time they will still let me get about 40 yards. It's pretty hard to get under 40 if they know you're there. Anyways yeah. Do it! It's fun. It's all fun really.

9. Revvv

Revvv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting in a stand makes for the perfect nap. You have no work, no responsibilities ( on a professional level), and the peace of nature. There is nothing like leaning back and allowing a tall tree rock you to sleep.

I sometimes fish the same way. I could throw out an empty hook and care less about the fish. Just relax and unwind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I saw the thread title and KNEW this would be in the thread somewhere. :lol:

11. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man. There is nothing more aggravating than driving out to fish and getting nothing. I hate just sitting there. I feel like I've accomplished nothing, I need stimulation.

12. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love spot and stalk but it's really region specific. Hunting the West, you almost have to spot and stalk, but the Eastern woods are a little tougher for that method. Not saying you can't, it's just used less frequently.

13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always wanted to attempt still hunting. even though I'm in the NE! I have a few books from G. Fred Asbell, and reading his words and experiences makes me want to do it so badly!! BUT....I'm addicted to antler inches right now, maybe someday soon I'll give it a go. I'm still learning to shoot my old bear "black bear" instinctively, and once im comfy with that (3 fingers under) I'll probably give it a go.

14. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When bowhunting I will only attempt a spot and stalk if the conditions are ideal. Wet, good wind. If it is during gun season I have no problem going after a deer. I have only done it once during bow season and it was a success.

[​IMG]

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just talk to Tony, he loves Spot N Stalk

SSSSWACK

16. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's all we really do out here. It's calming for me to jut spend time walking through the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

17. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Jake. Can you expand on why the western woods are more conducive? I'd say it isn't, it's just preferred over in the east for tree stand. That plus it is a different breed of deer, and usually people out west have more land they can hunt. But woods wise, I'd say breaking branches is just as likely and as much on either coast