Shooting broadheads

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by kjhouse, Oct 15, 2014.

1. kjhouse

kjhouse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been prcticing with field points and shooting ok, switched to braodheads and arrows fly all over the place. Same weight as field point. Can anyone recommend a broadhead or help in anyway?

2. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would make sure you are tuned up. In my experience broad heads will make any small mistake you have in form, larger. Before you start buying bro sheafs I would take it to a pro shop and make sure everything is as it should. Then broad head tune. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would make sure everything is tuned correctly at first, but sometimes broad heads just don't fly good with certain setups. I could never get Thunderheads to fly good with my old bow setup, but when I switched to SlickTricks (without changing a thing) I got perfect flight. You just never can tell

4. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Need way more information. What poundage you're pulling at your draw length? What size arrows? Length of your arrows?

that's a start, we'll go from there..

5. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    mechanical broad head fly a little better like field point all most.that why many people change to them eazyer to deal with less tuning really

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bow tuning- Arrow spine- Shooting form. You should be able to shoot almost any broad-head you want to with almost no difference noticed at all. Different broad heads will never tune your bow, adjust spine or fix your form. The broad-head is not the cause but the revealer of shooting issues.

Provide the information about your setup and I bet some one on here can get you pointed in the right direction.

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they are all over the place you most likely are weak on spine or have fletching contact.

8. Silent Assassin

Silent Assassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your bow is tuned properly then BH should fly good unless you are under-spined that may cause this issue. Have you paper tuned your bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    No equipment info?

10. kjhouse

kjhouse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a self bow, Hickory, 55#, 25" draw and arrows are 3555 Gold Tip Carbon.

11. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way too stiff. Selfbows are not center-shot and depending on the bowyers design will vary in the amount they are off center. A broad head will bring out problems even more so..

A non-centershot bow, like your bow, requires a much weaker spine because the arrow must bend around the bow.. This makes it a totally different beast than any modern recurve or compound.. My self bow is 3/4" wide at the arrow contact point, string in the center, 63#@27". I shoot 5/16 cedar arrows 28" long 40-45# spine with Zwicky delta broad heads..

Your results may vary from mine a little but this gives you an idea.

12. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Whole new set of dynamics. I think most of us a**-u-me-d you were talking compound. Sorry. Yeah, fletching contact and spine stiffness are pretty crucial issues for trad guys. Are you shooting feathers?

Depending on your broad-head weight, you should probably be shooting at least 600 spine if not 700. Just looking at some charts. The problem you may encounter is with your arrow weight at 25 inches being only around 200 grains. You may want to check with a traditional shop to get you set up.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  13. kjhouse

kjhouse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for all the info, I do shoot feathers. Unfortunately, no one around me shoots traditional and most bow shops close are not much help with trad equip.

I made the bow, so its all been trial and error.

14. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "Trial and error" Yep, it's truly a journey! Relax and enjoy it. I know what it's like, most bow shops are no help at all and can be a hindrance.

But… anytime you want to ask questions I'll do my best to help or maybe just talk about it

There is truly NOTHING like hunting/shooting a bow that you made with your own hands… and that's just the beginning. It's really hard to just make one and they will get better each time.. There arrows, quivers.. make your own knives…….. enjoy!