Compound vs crossbow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by nickellmama27, Oct 10, 2014.

1. nickellmama27

nickellmama27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Up until this year I've used a compound. I loved it, I shot competition and I love the challenge. I sold my compound this year and the husband surprised me with an early Xmas gift of a nice crossbow. I had made the decision to go to it because I'm small framed, and as a woman I have to shoot on a consistent basis to keep those muscles toned. My kids are small and between work and taking care of them, I just don't have the time to dedicate what I want into archery. I love my new crossbow. However I've ran into a few people who have told me that oh now you're just cheating. So I'm curious of the popular opinion. Do you feel cross are
    Cheating?

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone who tells you it's cheating is a moron. No matter what weapon you have in your hand, enjoy the hunt....it's your hunt.

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do those same people gun hunt? Do they feel that they cheat when they do? They are just morons and not very bright.

4. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who cares what anybody else thinks?

Some think a compound is cheating. Or sitting in a tree....or using a rangefinder, etc. etc..

And cheating who anyway? It's not a competition.

If you are happy, that's all that matters.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am so glad that I have like 45,000 acres of public land at my disposal. I just take my bow, treestand, and gps and head into the woods. I disappear under a huge canopy of trees to not only find deer but to get away from most people.

I don't care what others do as long as it is legal. I also don't care if other people use crossbows. How about help others and encourage them instead of belittling?

6. nickellmama27

Dislikes Received:
    They do, I've told them to shove it. I love hunting.

7. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy your crossbow. If it gets you in the woods and enjoying yourself, who is to say otherwise? Having fun is what it is all about. Go and have yourself some fun.

8. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't listen to other people. It's not cheating. An RPG is cheating.

9. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think its because they dont think you are a bowhunter any longer. You are now a crossbow hunter now. Just like being a handgun hunter or a ML hunter or a rifle hunter or a shotgun hunter or a bowhunter, you are still a hunter but they think you are cheating if you think you are a bowhunter. Just tell them you are a crossbow hunter because you are too small framed for bowhunting. And then tell them to mind their own business and that your still a hunter even if you stopped bowhunting and that you enjoy being a crossbower. Crossbows help the elderly, and kids and women get into the woods. Not everybody can handle a hunting weight bow and become a bowhunter so crossbowing is a suitable substitute. Tell them you are a "Deer hunter".

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy yourself, hunt ethically, and ignore the haters. Good luck!

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you and the family are happy that is the most important thing. Fair chase and ethical is what matters, not what you hunt with.

12. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As long as it is legal, ethical, and you enjoy it that is all that matters!! You deserve to do it as much as anyone else!

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just got done verbally flogging a coworker for being a hunting snob, he told a another coworker who killed a 6 pointer that he shot bambie. No matter what a hunter uses to take a deer they should be told congrats no matter the size of the deer. It is the guys first season bowhunting, he is 2 for 2 on recovery took a doe and a 6 point, that's a pretty good season. When a fellow hunter looks down at another for weapon or size they have issues not the person they are putting down

14. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just killed a doe with my xbow recently and yes its cheating compared to a vertical bow. But like already stated who cares? At one time I worried about weapon choice and had a bit of an elitist attitude, but these days I use whatever I feel like dragging along with me for that days hunt. This season I am going to trying and see how many different ways I can take a deer. Bow, xbow, ML, pistol, shotgun & rifle. 1 down, 5 more to go!

15. nickellmama27

Dislikes Received:
    All these positive posts are awesome. Thanks guys

16. str8shooter

str8shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sling your arrows ethically, with respect for the animal and yourself. Enjoy the hunt. Any time in the woods is good time.

17. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. Good luck! And enjoy your hunt. But just remember, crossbows are easy and its pretty much shooting fish in a barrel. lol. JK. :jerry: I wouldn't rule a crossbow out if they made them legal cross the board in Minnesota. And since I'm turning 40 next year, I may see if my doctor would write me a note to get the license from the DNR. lol. Seriously, though, my neighbor who just turned 60 is getting one and I couldn't be happier for him. Farmer who is rushed to hunt our gun season but can now take his time and hunt Sept. through December.

18. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lighted nocks are also cheating to some. You'll never get everyone to agree on everything so just enjoy what you do whether it be gun, crossbow, compound, or traditional.

19. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all comes down to what is best for you. If you want to use a crossbow go for it. I respect the fact that you realized you cant practice as much as you would like with the compound. This way bad shots will not be made from lack of practice or bad form from not shooting a lot. Enjoy your crossbow and good luck.

20. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The argument between compound and crossbow really makes me sick. And usually its our own "bow hunters". I personally have no problem with crossbows. We have states that don't allow crossbow in archery season, why??? cause fellow hunters are the ones lobbying against it. We as hunter need to always be together against the antis, but we choose to segregate our selves between compound, crossbow and gun hunters. Its ridiculous.

Anyways as I said don't feel bad about using crossbow. Every single one of us I believe at one point in our lives will be making the switch. I'm sure when I'm 70 years old and can't pull a bow in a tree like I used to I will appreciate the crossbow. And also you making the call saying I don't practice enough to ethically hunt with a compound, makes you a smarter more ethical hunter. Then the clown who bought a 80lb PSE at bass pro and never shoots it. Just like the guys who buy 300 win mag and sight it in once in there life and never fire it again until they go hunting.